• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Knuckle Boots

Guys, I know there have been several posts on dealing with the steering knuckle boots, mainly due to problems with the replacements cracking, or being old stock that failed shortly after installation. Several sources were listed for replacements. Well, Squirt has blown one of her 17 year old boots. I need some feedback from SS on what works, what does not, and sources for boots that will last.

Working on Big Green is fun, but not doing the same thingls over and over due to bad parts.

Feedback Please.
Squirt-Truck

ems4ty

I got a set from OD Iron. They were the ones with the zipper on them. Fairly easy to install. However, the boots failed within a month or two so I'm a little disappointed. It wasn't fun replacing them in the first place, but to have to get another pair and do it again..... Well you know.... I'm also looking for a good supplier of quality boots with the zipper. I don't know why these "New" boots failed in such a short time. I only used GAA grease Mt Spruce Surplus, so there shouldn't have been an issue with incompatability with grease touching the boot causing it to deteriorate. I'm not mad, but just don't like having to do the same chore twice. Just my humble opinion.

bottleworks

ems4ty said:
I got a set from OD Iron.
Did you contact Mike about your boot problem? Do you have any installed-on-the-axle pictures of how they were torn? Might help to figure out why the new ones failed.

nickd

I replaced my zipper boots with new one piece boots from Teds trucks and 3000 miles so far with no problems. Now if I can only find the time to extend my slobber tube and cut down on the mess all over the front axle.

Def. check ODIRON mike is good at taking care of your needs...

new one piece boots in my opinion are far better to have.. only bad thing is you gotta take the knuckle off to get them on.

ems4ty

Bottleworks, I did contact Mike at OD Iron about the issue a few months ago. Still haven't received a replacement boot. The boot deteriorated/broke down. I can rub the boot with my fingers and its kind of gummy but it is surely breaking down. I mentioned it to Mike, he thought that old grease or other chemicals caused the failure. I cleaned the area thouroughly, dried it completly and put in new GAA grease. That's the only chemical that these boots have touched is GAA Grease. I can't find my camera to take a picture with. Anyways, thought that I would get back to you on that.

maxim

I got boots from Memphis about 5 years ago, thus before OD IRON. At the time two piece were the only ones around I could find. They are still doing ok, (hate to hex myself talking about it). They were siliconed at the zipper and I try to check them regularly and put some rubber treatment like Armorall or such on them once a year. My truck is stored inside so the ultra-violet is kept down. However, last year I had a front bearing burn up requiering a tow. I took both front knuckles apart and replaced the bearings, seals, grease, (all from OD IRON) checked the whole front knuckles out. Yes it is a real messy job. But once you do it it will give you a better understanding and respect for the front end and confidence all the parts are in working order. Changing the boots at the time of the rebuild/renew/servicing will be just a bonus to front end servicing. A complete bearing seal replacement for the front if it needed, is not a cheap undertaking. The peace of mind while 200 miles from home that the front end is safe and performing correctly is worth it to me.

army_greywolf

Alright, let me through some advice out there, for a while the army was using a particular kind of 80/90 W oil and if the inner seal leaked it would not only be evident of the leak but when we replaced the axle seal, the boot was all gummy and usually in deseperate need of replacement but ONLY where it leaked, not only that but it made the portion of the tire it leaked on quite gummy also and worried me personally. Since about 2004/2005 the army switched supplies and we have gradually stopped having strange problems with rubber seals on a variety of equipment.

There are ingredients in both gear oil and some grease that softens seals and rubber. Something to think about.

I know that doesnt relate to a boot tearing but its something to think about maybe do some research on.

halftrack

Hey greywolf,

I am glad to see some Motor T guys with some good knowledge on this site. Welcome aboard. I hope you stay with us for awhile. We can really use someone with your experience on this board. Maybe Steel Soldiers should put you on the pay role. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks