• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel chain

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Security thing. The anchor point varies with the type of vehicle, and sometimes unit mods are done that will vary the location even further. The point is to keep the steering wheel immobilized or obstructed enough to prevent someone from driving it, while allowing authorized drivers to have it out of the way while the vehicle is in operation. Bottom line is to anchor it where ever it will keep the steering wheel secure. Some variants of HMMWVs have a steel cable that you can kind of retract up into the dash. It really just slides up out of the way, but it's neat and gets the job done.

1986Blazerk5

It is to lock the steering wheel from being turned. Since all the keys are the same, not that hard to get them they have them for sale on ebay. I think that they bolted to the floor, but not 100% sure.

dstang97

I did not even think to look in there because I have only seen a few on these trucks. I thought they were add on. I did do a search though

Armada

They are there for security reasons as stated. You don't want to chain the wheel when towing. You will find the chains bolted on, welded on, and even clamped on the steering column with the clamp bolts tacked.

SmokeyDod

Ref. keys to the pad locks & chain locking the steering wheel: I have probably 6-8 of chains w/locks and also just as many keys but I can't get the keys to work in any of the locks. Is there some special position or procedure to I need to do. These came off of dueces and cucvs. Have following "American Lock" brass keys: 1-6506H, 1-7594H, 1-7668H, 2-9376H & 2-9421H Keys. I noticed above someone said they were all same key. What's up?

OLDCHEV4X4

I saw one chain that was thru the steering wheel and then ran down around the brake pedal.
I also have several American locks and keys and none fit.:roll:

mr.travo

Is the chain for security? How many different keys fit the CUCV's????

LMAO! Couldn't resist (my sick humor).

You guys that have the padlocks locked to the chain- if you don't have a key that fits it, then cut it off. That's just old ones from soldiers. They will loose the key to it and just slap on a new one. I have seen it all too often.

cucvrus

Grind it off and throw it away. Sometimes guys butchered the vehicles putting them chains in. Worst one I ever seen was bolted and welded thru the floor and torn out of the sheet metal a half dozen times. Then welded to the front seat bolt and seat bracket. Burnt the front seat cushion. But it held that time and that's what counts. Good Luck. I had some with 1/2" chain and others with cable and retractor.

Abbylind

The military added them after someone broke into a facility and stole a tank. They required all vehicles to be "secured"
They actually added a keyed switch to the start panel on the OH 58 helicopters!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks