• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock dual exhaust size?

Westech

CPL
sorry to be harsh i do not mean to be... but for some reason there is this world wide thought the pipe comes in different sizes (ID, OD) it dont. the pipe is sold as OD so that mufflers and cats..ect can slip over the pipe. you never never want to put pipe OVER the thing that you are installing.

Craig C

Has anyone tried say 3" or 4" pipe etc on their CUCVs.....will it work, will it help the 6.2 breath any better or what?? Is it a waste of time and money, anyone have any ideas on this?

1956_4x4

Re: RE: Stock dual exhaust size?

Westech said:
sorry to be harsh i do not mean to be... but for some reason there is this world wide thought the pipe comes in different sizes (ID, OD) it dont. the pipe is sold as OD so that mufflers and cats..ect can slip over the pipe. you never never want to put pipe OVER the thing that you are installing.
The confusion may come from dealing with different types of pipe. Exhaust pipe may all be measured by OD, but much of the piping we deal with is measured by ID.

Smitty

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Stock dual exhaust size?

the standard dual setup is plenty big enough for the naturally aspirated 6.2... My 6.5 turbo on my 98 GMC has only one small pipe!! ACE

IRWFO

From my experiance with deisels they don't need any back pressure like a gas engine likes. So going over 2.5 won't hurt anything. Just swapping my stock mufflers with Flowmasters was a nice seat of my pants feel. When I'm ready to do the whole exhaust I'm going with 3" just because it's only a few dollars more then 2.5".

Jones

Maybe this'll help... maybe not.
"Pipe" is measured by it's I.D. i.e. 1/2" water pipe is 1/2" inside. Pipe's "schedule #" is what determines wall thickness and pressure rating; schedule 40, sch. 80, sch. 300. I sometimes do steamfitter's work at the RR museum shop where I volunteer and ya gots to know this stuff.
Exhaust "pipe" is actually exhaust "tubing". All tubing is measured by it's O.D. and a specified wall thickness. i.e. 4"/.065 wall. Muffler shops also go into I.D./O.D. stuff because of the slip joints in some exhaust systems-- so you'll find 4"O.D./O.D. or 4" O.D./I.D. mufflers, tubing, elbows, U-bends and etc. in catalogs like Walker or Maremont.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks