• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Rims and bigger tires? what combo?

Edward Stephens

I have a set of reallly slick NDTs on my m39series, and need to go bigger. My apologies if this has been asked before.

Can I use a 14.00 michelin XL on my stock rim? If I have to get different rims I will go for the 16.00 20s

Can I dual up the 14.00 on the back if they do fit my stock rims?

I use this truck off road only, no tags or inspection. I added a 500 gallon water tank and a pump to do site prep for tree planting, I drive it through cut-over pine land you cannot walk through, and the truck is a beast. If the front wheels will fit over it, the rest of the truck will too. We added duals on the front for extra float, put the fuel tank on the chassis behind the cab and cut the tool box, battery box and steps off, added a small mesh grill screen and a small plate in front of the radiator.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
to Q1) YES, but not recommended!
to Q2) NO!

If ground clearance is the most important factor - besides flotation and load capacity - I would go for the 16.00R20 XZL
You should be able to find a set of 5ton 20x10" combat wheels (or FMTV- or HEMTT wheels) so you can run them tubeless!

G.

Maxgussam

There is a guy here in MO that does the exact same thing with his trucks.
Without a second thought, he drives through stuff that I would be hesitant to drive a log skidder through. Truly a testament to the toughness and durability of these trucks!
He used to run the 14:00s, but had issues with tearing the sidewalls out on rocks, etc. he went to the 16:00s and has had very few of the same problems. I think that the 16s have thicker sidewalls, as well as another protective layer of rubber on the sides.
If I remember correctly, there was a thread a long time ago regarding a logger who successfully mounted dual 14:00s on his 818. He was over width, but it was a non issue, as the truck was, like yours, off road only.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point, pctrans!

I should have considered that in my earlier post... : backspace for 5ton-10" combat's is 11.4" and FMTV's = 11.25"; but HEMTT's only are 8.9"... so track would be 5" wider with these!

G.

Edward Stephens

Thanks for all the replies, I am about an hour from Fort Bragg, there is a .mil tire dealer there with a good supply of anything you want. I am looking at some B grade tires for very cheap- a little weather cracking but where I drive I dont want to cut a $300 tire when there are piles of $75 tires. vehicle width is not an issue, the duals on the front look mean, but it actually drives OK. The rear tandems look like a slinky when going over a stump, and the power steering has handled four steer tires just fine.

are dual 14.00s not possible or not good for the road? The truck runs at about 3mph most of the time, so I think I can get away with things that are a little weird for road trucks. One thing about it, when you are stuck, you are stuck. I drove off in some pancake batter and sank it, and another time I hung it on a stump next to a ditch. Other than that, I have been over tree tops, over trees 10"+ on the ground and pushed over 4-5" saplings, stream crossings when needed, down fire breaks, marked where the fire breaks should be with it, anything I needed. These trucks are well made and I see why they lasted so long. This truck is rough, I bought it for scrap price, thats where it was going so I didnt feel bad about modding it. I told my wife I bought her a convertible:D, she was not impressed. Imagine that.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
are dual 14.00s not possible or not good for the road?.....
Yes, it is possible and has been done. You would need to find the "deep dish" 5ton bridge truck wheels & spacers, though.
(pics below, showing 14.00-20 NDT's on said wheels)

I told my wife I bought her a convertible:D, she was not impressed. Imagine that.
I can imagine.... she probably just expected a different color...:razz:

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks