• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STOP,, n the name of wuv

SGT FROST

While setting in my 1954 M38A1 I noticed my brakes were not working at all , then it made me think about old/new technology and then thought how my reaction time is also slower and then I thought about all the idiots and aholes on the highways I thought man I need disc brakes off of A viper or something to survive daily traffic and there lawyers. So now that I am scared to drive it has any body swap the scrub brakes for discs ? I gots 2 know... Thanks for your help, Sgt Frost.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a swap to get away from your stock 9" drums (I think they are 9") and move up to a set of 11" drums off a later model. I had a '55 M38A1 that had been hacked up and it had this modification (I still have the axle, by the way).

if that's not good enough, you could do an aftermarket disc brake swap, although it would not look correct.

All that being said, your braking ability will be severely limited by your tires more than the brakes.

jeeper50

I upgraded to 11" brakes on my M606 just for piece of mind and the idiot factor. They look very similiar to the factory brakes and only an MV expert could tell the difference (But they aren't going to pay for my insurance or hospital bills- so who cares). The 11" backing plates are what are getting hard to find, donor vehicles include mid seventies CJ5s, DJ5s(mail jeeps) and early full size cherokees. Be sure they are the self adjusting type brakes. Now my M606 stops on a dime!!!! The tech sections on the CJ3B page and the earlycj5.com websites have more info. The Jeep Guy Home Page has them for $$$ per axle.

SGT FROST

Thank You Jeeper50 for the good intel .I am shocked at the cost from the jeep guy but it is still less than meeting someone new on the highway. I parted all that out at 170.00 a wheel , but just think IT ONLY COST 80% MORE TO GO FIRST CLASS. thanks again for your reply..SGT FROST

jeeper50

I just picked up an axle set from searching the local jeep forum for sale section, $75 for drums, backing plates from a "narrow track" '74 Cj5 that someone had removed from their Dana 30 axle to upgrade to discs.
Check craigslist in your area for "dana 30 drum brakes" I picked up a complete dana 30 axle from a '75 CJ for $30. Those brakes went on a friends Cj2A. So they are out there. Rockauto.com has new brake parts (springs, adjusters, cylinders, etc for a good price)
Here's some pics from my installation; Brake mod pics pictures by willysnut - Photobucket
OLD and NEW brakes picture compare them yourself

Attachments

Last edited:

SGT FROST

RogerThat, The next time I need to learn something I am calling you. Your photography is very good and I have learned more here than all the books and two guys garage. I have a local all jeep junk yard I will contact for all the above Items ,and my brother n law is the best wrench n town and we trade labor. By the way I have a almost new deuce cargo top OD canvas with black poly tie ropes for sale at 300.00 or will trade for new winter top for M38A1. Again many thanks for your help, SGT FROST

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks