• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Battery Issue

Hoefler

Batteries seemed to work fine (Interstates). The other day, I jump in to start it and nothing-not even clicking sounds. I hook up a 24 volt charger and set it on low for a few hours. Still nothing.
I check voltage-over 24 in sees and over 12 individually.
The strange thing-when I hit the starter, I can hear a "stirring" sound from one of the batteries. I also noticed a sulpher-battery smell in the cab after trying to start.
I replaced the stirring smelling battery and now all is fine.
Question-what happened to the battery? Plate fell off? Curious at this point.
M715 is now cruising the farm again.
Pete

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That cell went 'high resistance', meaning it no longer can provide higher current and will not take a charge. The sound you hear is the electrolyte cooking. The voltage across the bad cell will be very high compared to the other cells (in both charge and discharge cycles). A voltmeter draws very little current so the voltage looked ok. Put a load on the battery and check voltage and it won't be 12v.

When you replace a seriesed or paralleled battery, you should replace both (or all four). The replacement betteries should be near same production time if possible. With a new battery connected with an old battery there is a cell mismatch and problems will follow. If the old batteries are the same age, the others are probably near end of life too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks