• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Coolant Leak

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With our recent low temperatures in South Texas my deuce had developed some strange leaks. One of them is a coolant leak that I isolated at the two water manifold hoses. (See pic) I tightened them with seems to help but I want to change them to be sure. According to the 20 TM, the hoses can be changed without removing the intake manifold. Is this correct? I searched and found the hose to be 1 3/4" but I would like to know if anyone knows a source for the gaskets?

I am surprised that these hoses would start leaking due to cold weather. They never leaked before. My antifreeze is new and we only got down to 9 degrees.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, the weather effects them a lot. The intake doesn't need pulled, but the water manifold does. I just picked up a gasket roll and made my own gaskets.

Jake0147

All materials expand and contract. The hose "should" be pliable enough to make this up, but over time that property degrades a bit. Probably ( <--- You know what that's worth...) probaby you just need to snug up the clamps... That's the biggest reason modern stuff has gone to the contstant spring tension clamps. New materials move a lot more and a lot more "differently" than ever before.

Anyhow, yes you can enjoy some piece of mind by changing them. I did with mine. Yiou can work the old ones out and new ones in without removing anything. Not worth it. It's a bear and you'll probably end up sticking a screwdriver threw the new hose or your hand. I stopped that approach after the first one. It was easier to extract the broken bolt (siezed at the threads...) than it was to argue that hose into place.
I found the hose in a straight section at Napa, it must be cut to length. Sounds silly, but a hacksaw (used carefully andslowly) makes a nice clean cut. Really hard to do with a knife.
I searched briefly and did not find suitable replacement gaskets. I bought a sheet of gasket material and tapped out my own in just a few minutes.
And no, I did NOT upgrade to any kind of constant tensioning clamps.... If they leak again I'll know how old they are and I'll tighten the clamps, and if that yields piece of mind I'll be done. If not, I'll change the hoses again. One chunk will do that job several times.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have replaced all my hoses but those two, next on the list...
I plan to remove the two water intakes to replace them.

Heavysteven

I need to do mine as well. I did every hose and had my radiator rebuilt. Those two just look hard to get at. I like the coolant hose McMaster has for extreme temp. It's blue with a red silicone lining and expensive, but has a cool factor.

shenkmen

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

I did that replacement last spring. You need to unscrew the water jacket bolts, and remove the water jackets to replace the hoses. It really is the fastest way to do it.
The gaskets were bought from Memphis Equipment, along with the hoses and clamps. When the package arrived, I just drained the system, and went to wrenching.

Re-charged the coolant system, and no problems. It has been tight all year including this brutal winter we've had this season.

MAKE SURE YOU COAT THE THREADS WITH NEVER SEIZE!

jamesm35a2

Hello! I do not usually post on forums but ran into a dilemma with one of my m35s I recently purchased (1971 non turbo) ....I finished with the maintenance (grease, bearings brakes and so on) need to do radiator hoses next but decided to take it for a ride to get the "kinks" out of the system. I drove almost a mile up the road and my coolant blew out onto the highway. I only let it warm up for about 10 to 15 minutes before leaving.... after bringing it back ho.e i noticed coolant leaking out from the middle of the two halves of the head. I will post pictures and give more details if needed. I apologize if I posted incorrectly. As I said I do not post on forums and usually I take care of any issue that arises on these trucks without fail. I just never seen an issue like this.

In the first picture is where it leaks out. Booths side of the center.
2nd picture is a leak in the old hose in the back which I though may have trickled down to the center.
Thank you in advance!!20231204_135520.jpg20231204_135527.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks