• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Glow Plug

sedone

Well, Mangus you were correct that I have damaged at least one glow plug in my CUCV. I got the 070's you recommended and today with a semi warm day melting the ice enough so I could work on her I pulled three of the drivers side plugs but when I (actually We, the wife was doing the wrenching since I am handicapped) we got to the plug closest to the firewall she stopped and made me aware that it felt "stuck." After my explanation of a mushroomed plug, she wanted nothing to do with it. I hauled my self up in there and very gently tried to get it out, no go. So before I start doing anything stupid, I just wanted to ask if there were any tricks? Heat, Oil, Hammer...
Or is it just off with the head?
Thanx, Sedone
The other three plugs looked fine to me.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had 6 swelled and stuck plugs in my '84 when I got it. I used a "cat's paw" prybar under the hex head to apply GENTLE upward pressure while turning the plug with a socket. The hardened threads of the head cut into the tip of the plugs and screwed them out. I got them all out without breakage.

Attachments

sedone

Thanx Guys,
Did any of you use any kind of penetrating fluid or WD40 or such? Obviously I would blow out the cyclinder with the plug in before firing.
Thanx again, I was thinking I would be pulling the head yesterday and today I have hope.
Sedone

BKinzey

I got this suggestion from The Diesel Place. Several said it would work and it did.

Unscrew the glow plug and start up the engine :shock: :shock: They often will pop out. That worked for one. Made quite the clang when it hit the fender well but I looked and didn't find a dent or even a scratch :)

Didn't work for the other one (all 6 others came out normally) so I proceeded to plan B. Take a pair of vice grips and clamp on the end. Start the engine. Wearing gloves, safety glasses, and hearing protection (Gets noisy when you stick your head in there :wink: ) grab the vice grips and push. The idea is to get a jack hammer effect going. Doesn't take much pressure at all and it's easy to control. You are pushing in and the compression pushes the plug out. I'd say it took less than 30 seconds of holding to pop out and it's not bad at all.

Of course I pulled all the injectors out and cranked it over about 5 seconds to blow out any junk and then put it all back together.

I was surprised on how easy it was :D

CCATLETT1984

BKinzey said:
I got this suggestion from The Diesel Place. Several said it would work and it did.

Unscrew the glow plug and start up the engine :shock: :shock: They often will pop out. That worked for one. Made quite the clang when it hit the fender well but I looked and didn't find a dent or even a scratch :)

Didn't work for the other one (all 6 others came out normally) so I proceeded to plan B. Take a pair of vice grips and clamp on the end. Start the engine. Wearing gloves, safety glasses, and hearing protection (Gets noisy when you stick your head in there :wink: ) grab the vice grips and push. The idea is to get a jack hammer effect going. Doesn't take much pressure at all and it's easy to control. You are pushing in and the compression pushes the plug out. I'd say it took less than 30 seconds of holding to pop out and it's not bad at all.

Of course I pulled all the injectors out and cranked it over about 5 seconds to blow out any junk and then put it all back together.

I was surprised on how easy it was :D
I wish that worked for the stuck plug in my truck, tried both methods and its still stuck in there. I have the extractor kit, but havent had the chance to try it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks