• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid question time...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I've been reading here a while and I have what is probably a stupid question.

I've read all about the transfer case (air assist and normal and REB conversion kits) being either high or low. Can the truck be run without the front axle engaged?

I just haven't come across that info yet. I've been reading as many threads as I can. But can't seem to find that piece of the puzzle yet.

Thx in advance. jim

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. You do not need to engage the front for either low or high range. Matter of fact, it is synchronized as well to afford easy range changes.

ddg

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G744,
Thx for that. Which lever engages the front axle? Again, sorry for the stupid questions.

And theortically you can have either 4 wheel drive (rear) or 6 wheel drive (front and rear) correct? Does disengaging the front wheels help any with fuel economy or is it so minor it doesn't matter one way or the other?

M1075

There are 3 ways to engage the front axle, depending on your truck's configuration. Most trucks will either have the sprag setup (engages automatically when needed) or the air shift lever at the bottom of the dash. A few trucks have a manual lever through the floorboard. Check out some of the other posts and you'll learn a lot more. A recent thread on REB shift kit would be good to start with.

Most of the time you will not have the front wheels engaged. To improve fuel mileage, some guys install lock out hubs on the ends of the front axle (~$600) to completely disengage the wheels from the front differential, thereby eliminating the drag of the tires turning the axles and the differential.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only one with a "lever" is the REB kit from Memphis (REB stands for Reo Eager Beaver, by the way). It sticks up from the floor to the right of the transmission shifter. No stock M35 or any G742 truck has a manual lever for front drive. The air shift transfer uses just that, air. You have a little switch on the dash that activates it.

Apparently the lack of a manual "lever" either scares, mystifies, or for some other reason causes a lot of discontent and discussion. Got me why, as stock rigs do pretty good in any situation.

ddg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks