• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suburban doors on an M1009?

Mike_Pop

Has anyone ever tried to fit Suburban doors to an M1009? It looks like they would fit with some modifications. Might look pretty cool too.

M1075

Believe it or not, I too was just thinking about this yesterday when I was behind a suburban. I think it would be a cool mod.

AJMBLAZER

You'd have to do something about the fiberglass top for sure. I've seen it done but it involved the roof of the Burb being grafted on the K5 in place of the fiberglass top.

Mike_Pop

That last picture looks like it was taken right where I live!

Have you ever seen Rick Thiers' Suburban CUCV? He did an excellent job at converting it, even right down to making a spartan interior with canvas lined doors. His has the diesel and already had a lift kit. He's located in Atglen, PA and if you get a chance, check out his vehicles. A really nice guy and very honest.

mangus580

In reference to the original question.... I think the angle above the 'bed sides' is different on the back of a sub vs the back of a blazer. I seem to recall the glass on a tailgate burb and the blazer are different, as well as the tracks in the tailgate.

Not saying it cant be done....

Mike_Pop

Mangus, I thought the tail gates were interchangable? Wouldn't this make the rears the same? Correct me if I am wrong.

mangus580

pretty sure the tailgate shells are. The angle the rear window is, when raised I think is different.

I MAY be wrong, but I seem to recall it form somewhere...

n1bnc

Has anyone ever bothered to shorten a 4door sub into a 2door suburban with the 2 doors in the rear instead of the regular tailgate? It would make for an interesting looking blazer especially in 3/4t form.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A great number of years ago I toyed with the idea of welding the rear doors shut and welding up the back glass to make a panel truck. I have a thing for panels ever since seeing a 1966 Chevy panel 4x4. From what I can tell 128 were built in 66. I started my search for a CHev or GMC 4x4 panel in 1979 and finally found one in 1993. Ended up having to selll it (sigh)! I'm rambling, back to the burb thread.

AJMBLAZER

n1bnc said:
Has anyone ever bothered to shorten a 4door sub into a 2door suburban with the 2 doors in the rear instead of the regular tailgate? It would make for an interesting looking blazer especially in 3/4t form.
AJMBLAZER said:
I've seen it done but it involved the roof of the Burb being grafted on the K5 in place of the fiberglass top.
Easier to do by starting with a Blazer. All you're doing then is putting the Burb's roof, rear doors, and windows on the pre-existing Blazer.

wdbtchr

I'm getting ready to scrap out an '89 Suburban body in St. Louis, MO. It's got cancer in the lower parts, but the top is in pretty good shape. If anyone near by wants to play around and try it, let me know.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Do they make one of those fiberglass toppers for 1009's/Blazers like you occasionally see on pickups with a single swing open door?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks