• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful recovery of a M105A2 from Sparta yesterday

Fadedout

1st post here, Hello everyone! :)
Everything went smooth with my recovery, zero issues with my trailer, it was like new! My nephew who came with forgot his drivers license and got denied entry and was left at the gate waiting for me. The whole reason I brought him was so that he could see some cool military vehicles since he had never been on a base before, he was bummed. Drove 60mph the 320 miles home with no problems. Put the truck in tow mode and reset my avg mpg just for fun and averaged 11.2 bucking a bit of a wind. Would have done better with the canopy off the trailer I'm sure. Hope all my future recoveries go as well!
In the future I will be pulling this behind my M109A4 after I convert it to an RV next year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fadedout

Welcome to steel soldiers... Congrats on your recovery. How was stopping the trailer.... ? I bet you didn't even feel it in the brakes....
It pulled a lot nicer and quieter than I thought it would. It is like 2700lbs empty though, so I could tell when stopping fast once or twice that it was back there. I'm guessing I probably won't even notice it back there when I pull it behind the deuce. Time will tell!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! The question is... What are you going to haul in it behind your 109?
You probably will want a spare tire for it too.

Fadedout

Welcome! The question is... What are you going to haul in it behind your 109?
You probably will want a spare tire for it too.
Right, need to find a spare for it. Probably haul a diesel generator, the spare tire, a couple jerry cans of fuel, custom stairway for getting up on the roof of the M109 after it gets converted to a deck with fold down railings for those days at the races. Don't have time this year to throw money at it, hopefully next year.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance you can carry that custom stairway between the frame rails of the 109 box? That is where I keep mine

Fadedout

Any chance you can carry that custom stairway between the frame rails of the 109 box? That is where I keep mine
Thought about it, also thought I might like an aluminum ramp from a used Uhaul or something in there too that I could slide out. I've see seen them on craigslist
for 200-300 bucks but have to get around to measuring between the frame rails so I know what I have to work with before I decide.
I am overloaded on projects this summer and the truck is taking a back seat to it all which really bums me out cuz I want to play!!!