• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions For Saving Your Injectors on MEP-002/003 Generators

storeman

Guys,

A lot of members have been sending injectors to me to be adjusted/repaired and in the process I've made a few observations which may serve all of us well.

1 I'm not soliciting business..I'm retired and can't really figure out how I backed into this situation. But, I'm here, so take my comments for whatever you might consider their worth.

2 It is not possible to service an injector with the aluminum heat sink attached and 90% of those who send them to me realize that and remove them. Today I got 4 injectors from a MEP-003a which were in heat sinks. These injectors were "welded" into the heat sinks. A 24" pipe wrench couldn't budge them!

After soaking in Break Free and torching, one came free of the heat sink. Another of the injectors actually broke off in the heat sink. ....Never seen that before. Two more to deal with tomorrow.

3 Now the point of this post...the TMs say use an anti-sieze on the glow plugs, but make no comment about the injector as it enters the heat sink nor about the heat sink as it enters the head. I recommend you use anti-sieze at both of these points.

Jerry :beer::beer:

1800 Diesel

Excellent suggestion Jerry! I was first introduced to anti-seize compound as an outside machinist helper in the shipyard many years ago--for this MEP hobby we have and how often we have to get something unstuck & for the next time it has be taken apart--that stuff is your friend. Keep a couple cans around the shop and use it on a regular basis.... :)

massey

Good luck with the other ones Jerry. I have had to put lots of heat and the big pipe wrench and grunt to break some free, they go back together with anti-sieze so the next guy wont have to fight with them.

Ed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks