• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions on Tires:

Defcon-1

Hello and Good Day Gents,

I need to replace both of my steering tires (Michelin 14.00R20 XZL) due to dry rot, had to install my spare tire on the drivers-side due to a small air-leak I noticed while out. The spare is also leaking too (Goodyear 14.00R20 Unisteel) so I need at least 2 (possibly 3 if I can't repair the leak on the spare). Any suggestions on where to look for replacement tires? Is there a difference between the performance of the Goodyear over the Michelin? I could get x2 of either for the drivers tires correct? It wouldn't matter if the fronts are different brand than the rear 4 tires? I'm a Newb to the M923A2 so please all suggestions welcomed.

DeMilitarized

the 14.00 r20 tires have not been produced for over 20 years and are all going to be outdated and dry rotted at this point. I personally run goodyears only (Michelins dry rot worse and don't wear as well in any size military tire IMO). I converted my m932a2 to Goodyear 395/85r20 MV/T from the lmtv platform. These tires are good for on and offroad wear and traction and have no complaints. They ride very smooth in comparison.

Defcon-1

. I converted my m932a2 to Goodyear 395/85r20 MV/T from the lmtv platform. These tires are good for on and offroad wear and traction and have no complaints. They ride very smooth in comparison.
How did you convert to that size? Will that tire size fit the same wheel-rim that I currently have for the 14.00r20? Are they the exact same size IE: can I run 395/85r20 Mv/T up front and keep the Four 14.00R20 on the back axles? Trying to make a good long-term move so I'll take any advice.

DeMilitarized

They are different sizes. The mvt is a 46in tire and the 14.00 is a 49 inch tire so need to convert all the tires. Your stock rims will fit the same tire but when you do it you should replace your wheel o rings with ones from MV parts store. That will just make sure your new tires dont have any leaks. Should be able to sell your 14.00s to make back some money.

Defcon-1

They are different sizes. The mvt is a 46in tire and the 14.00 is a 49 inch tire so need to convert all the tires. Your stock rims will fit the same tire but when you do it you should replace your wheel o rings with ones from MV parts store. That will just make sure your new tires dont have any leaks. Should be able to sell your 14.00s to make back some money.
Thank you for the information, I don't know if I'm ready to replace all 6 tires at once when I really just have to replace 2, not sure that is a good option $ wise right now. I'll keep this in mind for the future when the 4 rear-axle tires start showing signs of failing, maybe I'll try to find someone selling two 14.00R20 for now so I can get the truck back up and running.

ericp351

Do what you have to do I am simply stating that the stock tires are far beyond their lifecycle.
I was 100 percent in your shoes this spring. Bought 2 new old stock General brand- S Aferica Military NATO Treads for my fronts. Eastern Surplus is vender- Pa. I like the tires- no cracks, and I do not work for them, etc. 14.00- 20 size

ericp351

Post Script- I prefer Good Years over Michelins, do mix brands, same truck. I try to match brands on same axles, and best (Generals now) on fronts for safety and good steering. As you know- need to keep diameters same. Some can disagree- I am on a budget, but need to work to avoid blow-outs. Good Luck

Defcon-1

I was 100 percent in your shoes this spring. Bought 2 new old stock General brand- S Aferica Military NATO Treads for my fronts. Eastern Surplus is vender- Pa. I like the tires- no cracks, and I do not work for them, etc. 14.00- 20 size
Yeah it is quite a pickle to be in, also I realized if I change tire sizes now that would be 7 tires needed bc of the spare too lol, so I’m ok with the two fronts being a different brand for now if possible. I sent a message to Eastern Surplus yesterday they are actually only 40 minutes from my house.

I think my second best option would be disconnecting the front DS and going with (x2) 16r20 or the 395, I’m not ready to buy 7 tires at once now, I just bought the truck a few weeks ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks