• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sump Magnets

Another Ahab

View attachment 453374View attachment 453375Scanned a few posts about magnets in sumps (oil, tranny, differential), but missed any specifics about this particular item (see attachments). Cost is nominal. Recognizing as a magnet that it won't catch anything non-ferrous (i.e. brass, aluminum), but still can't see a good reason NOT to drop one of these in each sump.

Checking the winds here: any worldly wisdom (or strong feelings/counsel) from the greater community either way?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting them into a place where they will not interfere with operation in the sump area is the trick. Would work fine in the engine if you had to drop the oil pan anyway. Otherwise, it could be iffy on getting it in the right spot. Most of the trans, T/C and pumpkins don't have a lot of free space in them.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the engine, you could remove and clean the pan and press or beat a slight indentation into the pan for the magnet at a low point, then epoxy the magnet into place.

Any other install places are going to be where there is sufficient space and will probably require dis-assembly.

Personally I would not "drop" one in any of my trucks.

What about a drain plug with a magnet instead? It's located correctly, inexpensive and easy to install?

Rick

Another Ahab

10-4. Just checking, and I hear you:

- Magnetic plug. That's the ticket.
- And/or, as a secondary, maybe even a flat ("fit-****-near-anywhere") rare-earth magnet.

That's the feedback I was looking for; testing the waters for the collective corporate wisdom. Thanks a million. I'll search the forums for a "where-to-buy". In the meantime though if anybody is, or knows, a a good source for the magnetic
plugs, I'd be grateful to know here. ~

Flyingvan911

Magnetic plugs are easy to clean. A magnet that's hard to remove/clean would just collect shavings until something gets free and causes damage in my opinion.

Another Ahab

Magnetic plugs are easy to clean. A magnet that's hard to remove/clean would just collect shavings until something gets free and causes damage in my opinion.
Yeah, you're right. Good point; can't argue with it. Lot to be said for the K.I.S.S. principle, and I'll stick to it here. Thanks for the feedback. ~

peashooter

I've just been making my own magnetic plugs since some of the deuce plugs get to be a little odd sized and hard to find (Differentials, Transfer Case, Transmission, Engine). When I do an oil or fluid change I take the plug off and mill or drill a pocket the same diameter as the magnets I get (usually 3/8 or 1/2" diameter), then press the magnet into the hole.....Or even just putting the magnet on the end of the plug should be fine, the pocket just makes me feel better since there is less chance of the magnet moving.
You can get magnets from places like Mcmaster.com but 98% of rare earth magnets now come from China or chinese owned/controlled mines so you can easily get some easily and cheap from ebay.
Just search for something like this: RARE EARTH NEODYMIUM DISC MAGNETS 3/8" the thicker the more pull they have. I like to use 3/8" diameter by 3/8" thickness which has about 8 lbs of pull. You can get them in packs of 10 for less than $7 shipped. The higher quality ones (like Mcmaster sells) withstand higher temps like 300 deg F, the lower quality ones start loosing their magnetic pull at about 180 deg F

INTERESTING MAGNET TIDBIT: Since China controls 98% of all magnet production, the US is attempting to open a Strategic Reserve for Rare earth magnets since there are in so many things (including most of our country's weapon systems). China has been scaling back production of the magnet manufacturing to control prices similarly to what OPEC does with oil production and Debeers does with Diamonds. The US closed its last mine about 10 years ago, and is trying to open one back up. It might already be open on a small scale, but I know its been a real battle since its in california and all of the environmental stuff to deal with. In my job, we purchase lots of Linear Servo motors which use a ton of rare earth magnets in them. One of the larger motors jumped overnight from $28,000 to $40,000 due to magnet costs.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Well, you know... there's Democracy.

And it loks like that will be a hard-sell to the Party Bosses over there for likely a long, long time....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks