• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge protector

MADDOG29

Ok so was throwing around the idea of adding a panel mount surge protector to the panel I mounted on the side of my 803. Mainly to protect house loads in case of a surge I have one mounted on my power meter but doesn’t do anything for me when I’m on generator has anyone done this. The panel i have mounted on the side of gen is an rv power panel with multiple outlets and room to expand. Thanks for any info.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I very rarely see surge protectors used in conjunction with generators in civilian applications. I know some of the DRASH/HDT power distribution boxes have them built in, but that's all I've seen specific to a generator use.

I have seen a few in homes, but primarily for the utility source, as the utility has a lot greater potentials flowing though it. A failed transformer or a tent that someone is cooking meth under and accidentally blowing it up to wrap around the 3 phase power lines are the main things I've seen cause series voltage spikes. In the second case, the customer's whole house surge protector fried, along with some computer boards in various items (and several other customers with fried generator transfer switch control boards)

The generator is a lot less likely to generate dangerous transient voltage spikes like the utility grid can, unless there is a lightening strike or something is seriously miswired/screwed up. They are also supposed to suppress spikes caused by equipment startup and shutdown, but I don't know how bad those fluctuations really are. If it was that bad, then electronics being damaged while on generator or utility would be a heck of a lot more common than it is (I can't recall the last time I heard of any electronic device failing during generator use that wasn't directly related to a failure in the generator, and that was a completely different type of generator than the MEP 8XX series (older briggs and stratton with failed voltage regulator putting out over 300VAC)

Looking around, the surge protectors aren't all that expensive, so if it gives you peace of mind, then I don't see any reason why not.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know we ran our laptops, projectors, server racks, and a lot of other equipment on the same generators that were providing the aircon and heat to the command tent. MEP 802's and MEP 804 were what we had until we got the DRASH equipment in my unit. As far as I know not a single item failed due to the generator. The laptops that failed were all related to being in an enclosed tent where someone decided to empty 11 fire extinguishers because of a leaking diesel stove.

2Pbfeet

I have never seen a surge protector on a generator.

Common surge protectors don't start kicking in until plus or minus several hundred volts to ground. UL listed versions are rated with clamping voltages at 330, 400, 500, and 600V. They are really there to limit damage due to gross voltage surges, transformer failure, lightning, EMP, etc. The stress is on "limit". Not every piece of electronics or bulb is going tolerate that many volts. They also have ratings in energy (Joules) for how much of a clamp they can tolerate.

I think given the value of the electronics in most homes these days, whole house surge protectors and strip surge protectors are probably a reasonable form of insurance.

YMMV...

All the best,

2Pbfeet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks