• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suspension Questions - M1008

viking76

How much clearance should there be between the front springs and the bump-stop? Assuming that 1.5 inches isn't nearly enough, Should I replace the Shocks first to see if that makes a difference or should I do the shocks and springs at the same time?

Last edited:

LT67

How much clearance should there be between the front springs and the bump-stop? Assuming that 1.5 inches isn't nearly enough, Should I replace the Shocks first to see if that makes a difference or should I do the shocks and springs at the same time?
Shocks first..

cucvrus

standard shock absorbers will not increase or decrease ride height.
No, new shocks will not increase your ride height. Shocks aren't stiff enough to support the weight of the vehicle. The weight is supported by the springs and only things that will increase the ride height are stiffer springs, longer springs or spacers between the spring and the frame or axle. Good Luck. Do the job right the first time. Replace the springs with new ones. It is not worth your time to put used springs with unknown history in place of the old un sprung worn out springs. I have a set of new NOS springs in my barn. To send them across country would cost ???? Good Luck.

nyoffroad

Shocks do not carry any weight unless they are air shocks or have a spring mounted to them. All a shock does is absorb energy and thus stop the axle rebound. In other words it cuts out the 'sea-saw' effect when you hit a bump. Replace the springs AND shocks.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a very rare occasion I have seen a shock locked up as it has been blown out, rusted and jammed down...but only on very worn out ones...makes for a very rough ride...seen it mostly on minivans lol....you can un hook the shock and see if it is locked up...usually the piston guide is bent so it is easy to see...that being said the shock won't effect height as long as it is the correct length...I have seen short ones installed...I gotta give them props since the amount of weight that would have to be in there to pull the springs down would be significant!!! New springs would be the way to go...there's good ones out there for not crazy money...possible lift then as well if you would like to go that route too...or the perfect stock ones CUCVRUS has! I may need those!! I need to take a trip up to his place sometime!!

MarcusOReallyus

standard shock absorbers will not increase or decrease ride height.
No, new shocks will not increase your ride height. Shocks aren't stiff enough to support the weight of the vehicle. The weight is supported by the springs

Bingo. Shocks are not made to carry the weight of the vehicle. They are made to dampen the oscillations of the springs. Some manufacturers, taking advantage of the ignorance of the general populace in order to sell products, make air shocks which DO carry some of the weight of the vehicle. This is a bad idea.

Keith_J

The reason shocks are part of a lift is travel length. Stock shocks will limit lift..if you could install the springs.

If you use air shock absorbers for lift, you stand a good chance of failure as this will overload the mounts. The air spring has to positively arch the springs plus any load and the damping load.

LT67

On a very rare occasion I have seen a shock locked up as it has been blown out, rusted and jammed down...but only on very worn out ones...makes for a very rough ride...seen it mostly on minivans lol....you can un hook the shock and see if it is locked up...usually the piston guide is bent so it is easy to see...that being said the shock won't effect height as long as it is the correct length...I have seen short ones installed...I gotta give them props since the amount of weight that would have to be in there to pull the springs down would be significant!!! New springs would be the way to go...there's good ones out there for not crazy money...possible lift then as well if you would like to go that route too...or the perfect stock ones CUCVRUS has! I may need those!! I need to take a trip up to his place sometime!!
Yes, a damaged shock can effect the ride height...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks