• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SUV Deuce?

Heath_h49008

I'm actually torn. The sketches I have been playing with still have the issue of the flex joint between bed and cab. The soft top can't even take that much flex...

Cutting an opening the way that movie MRAP job did looks nice as a permanent mod... but If I'm careful I think I can make it removable. Just a couple latches and we can fill the hole in the back of the cab and the front of the bed that we would access the back seats through when the top was on. Not 100% plug and play though.

The spare tire rack and winch is interesting though. Hand cranked ladder rack on rails. Crank it down, tire is (almost) upright on the ground and the rack doubles as a quick way to climb up into the bed/rear area from the back. I think a boat winch off a trailer should do well for the job.

59apache

Chipmaker
i would go that way:

a subframe under the whole body, fix mounted to the frame in the front, flexible at the back.
it can be made out of square tube, if you compare to the original subframe under bed with the necessary height of the new one, theres more than enough space for some flex.
would make a straight, clean look.

Awesome Possum

A thought I've been playing with is to do a "sleeper bob". I did this once with an ambulance chassis and it was a blast (Forgive the bad pic quality. I lost all the pics on a crashed computer and had to take this one off of some unnamed service :whistle:). I thought about doing this eventually to the bob to have it declared an RV by the state, in case I have any trouble with the neighbors. We worked up some drawings of this as well.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

just buy a marauder...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZAUnQeIVo[/media]

That's what I'm talking about! Make it a 6x6 on a deuce chassis (or 5ton) and keep the armor light. After all, we would be dealing with rocks, trees, walls and at most small arms if you plan on such activities.

I look at it this way... If a guy with landmines and 50BMG API wants me stopped, my mistake was in being in that situation, not in a lack of armor. I'll be happy to stop 7.62NATO in selected areas. Once they know it has some form of armor, they won't be likely to keep trying to shoot it with common weapons.

395 85 r20 run flats... hmmmmm such fun to contemplate these machines!

indy4x4fab

Banned
I have to find a picture of it but they make a 6x6 version of that, I use to see them being transported south on US9 in Penlton, Indiana.

These are the trucks I use to see on lowboys, LAND Cougar 6x6.

Attachments

Last edited:

plym49

A thought I've been playing with is to do a "sleeper bob". I did this once with an ambulance chassis and it was a blast (Forgive the bad pic quality. I lost all the pics on a crashed computer and had to take this one off of some unnamed service :whistle:). I thought about doing this eventually to the bob to have it declared an RV by the state, in case I have any trouble with the neighbors. We worked up some drawings of this as well.
Try it with two sleeper cabs back to back.

plym49

I'm actually torn. The sketches I have been playing with still have the issue of the flex joint between bed and cab. The soft top can't even take that much flex...

Cutting an opening the way that movie MRAP job did looks nice as a permanent mod... but If I'm careful I think I can make it removable. Just a couple latches and we can fill the hole in the back of the cab and the front of the bed that we would access the back seats through when the top was on. Not 100% plug and play though.

The spare tire rack and winch is interesting though. Hand cranked ladder rack on rails. Crank it down, tire is (almost) upright on the ground and the rack doubles as a quick way to climb up into the bed/rear area from the back. I think a boat winch off a trailer should do well for the job.
I understand the neeed for a flex joint but you lose the visual effect.If you are going to go with a flex joint, why bother at all? Just bolt on and section the box off of a box truck.

I think the design should maintain an unbroken flank. It's not that long, and mounting the body on resilient surfaces or springs would allow some relative movement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks