• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swap to a 350

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone swapped out the 6.2 or 6.5 for 350?
just wondering what it would take for the change. I think I have a 4L80E to swap out at the same time.
Trans boltup, motor mounts? Exhaust?
Thanx.
Dj

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The H1 Civilian unit was available with the 350 gas motor for a short time so many parts for the conversion would be around. However it was not a very popular unit as it lacked power. A 350 can be built to a lot of HP but only at fairly high RPM and that is not where a Hummer needs power. You need power at low RPM and that means big cubic inches in a gas or a Diesel motor.

Awol

Should be pretty easy. I'd probably look at the factory mounts from the civilian H1s. These trucks are like legos, you can basically do anything to them.

As long as you dont use a low compression, smogged out slug of a 350, it should be pretty fun!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone swapped out the 6.2 or 6.5 for 350?
just wondering what it would take for the change. I think I have a 4L80E to swap out at the same time.
Trans boltup, motor mounts? Exhaust?
Thanx.
Dj
A 400 small block would be the better candidate.

Or an early 70s AMC 360 if you didn't want to do much engine tinkering on more power. They came bolted to a turbo 400 as well

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just a dog with the 6.2. How are they with the 6.5 turbo?
Also wanted to reduce the noise level to something enjoyable.

Awol

The 6.2 was rated @ 330lbft @ 2200rpm, hardly a torque monster. You can make that torque figure almost effortlessly with a 350.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a unit close to me that had a Motor and Transmission from a Workhorse Chassis Motor Home. It was sold to someone in Alaska I believe. I think that is over 500 CID and an Allison transmission. I have no idea what it took to do that but I feel if you want a gas powered unit that would be the way to go. Eddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks