• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

swing out spare tire carrier

Dieselsmoke

Never installed one, but bought a bunch of them out of Ft. Sam Houston around '97 that had them innstalled already. They seemed to really tweak the corner of the body pretty bad as all of them were wrinkled pretty bad.

Cdub

Re: RE: swing out spare tire carrier

Dieselsmoke said:
Never installed one, but bought a bunch of them out of Ft. Sam Houston around '97 that had them innstalled already. They seemed to really tweak the corner of the body pretty bad as all of them were wrinkled pretty bad.
Exactly what I was gona say.......They are really harsh on the 1/4 pannel as well as the tailgate....

C'dub

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: swing out spare tire carrier

Not a swing out but here's another, more recent, popular option:
www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20754

Talk to Mike_Pop on here. He put one on his M1009. If properly installed the tire mounts work well for stockish sized tires but I've heard similar stories of wrinkling and cracking if they weren't installed correctly. There is supposed to be bracing on the inside of the fender when setup OEM.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: swing out spare tire carrier

I am planning on welding up one that will slide into the reciever hitch for ours but it will have to wait for me to get home. It will still let you use the hitch and be tied onto the frame rail as well.

Starlight

that looks like the ticket. Seems everyone concurs on the body issues with swingout. I was going to put a very strong backing plate inside however to HOPEFULY take care of that. T

Cdub

I don't recall if the factory would put a backing plate or just welded nuts flush with the body pannel.

They do work great when installed properly. The only ones I've worked on were OEM mounted units.

Don't get me wrong....The're great for the spair tire mounting....but over time, they will stress out the 1/4 pannel depending upon use and abuse.....

Cheers,

C'dub

AJMBLAZER

The factory had a big brace behind the quarter panel. A lot of them never got installed correctly or got taken off and never put on again afterwards.

tklm539

I have done a hunting around to try and find someone to fab. the one in the link that AJMBlazer provided.

I think I have found someone in Ohio. I need to take some measurements tonight and send them. I will keep posting as I get information about them. Right now (really tenitive) the price is around 350.00 plus shipping.

If anyone has any other sources for Fab. work please let me know.

Tom

Mike_Pop

Talk to Mike_Pop on here. He put one on his M1009.
I was able to find a civvy tire rack for $30. They are cheap but tough to find. I beefed up my quarter panel and haven't had any problems. My spare is a 33" tire. I posted pictures on a different thread. Even had some closeups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks