• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swolen glow plugs

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search or just read a page or two in the CUCV forum. We cover this weekly, it seems.

and correct spelling does help.

Wolf.Dose

Special tools or what so ever. The only think that helps is crual force. If the tips tears off, you are on the unlucky side. You have to remove the injector and try to get out the torne off tip of the glow plug. I had to do this twice, so any other advice is bejond the range of practical what to do. In my case, I even had to take the engine out for propper access.
The pic was taken during the second time with pre glow problem due to the glow plugs are 6 second glow plugs. In my M715 I have no glow card, so I had to limit the glow time by other means to a max of 6 seconds.
Wolf
Sometimes you are on the loosing side!

Attachments

jdemaris

Special tools or what so ever. The only think that helps is crual force.
Yes if a tip tears off, burns off, or blows off - it can make a mess. That being said, the OTC tool helps with some of the bad ones and sometimes will make the difference of getting out a stuck plug in one piece that otherwise would have busted apart. With some of those plugs it's near impossible to exert steady outward force and keep them perpendicular to the head while pulling.

Same can be said for Stanadyne pencil injectors used in other diesels. Sometimes the correct puller makes a difference - and sometimes you have to pull the head and drive them out from the other side.

If I had a plug swelled so bad it would not come out - I'd just stick it back in and leave it unplugged. 6.2s will start well enough when a plug or two is non working.

Not worth it to me to have small piece find its way to a piston top and possibly trash an engine.

jdemaris

And after you get them out , don't use Wellmans aka WAPs. Rockauto has Bosch Duratherms for 59$
Are you talking about Boschs for 12 volt system use or 24 volt system use?
Civilian type 12 volt systems originally used 6 volt glow plugs (like 9G Delcos) and military 24 volt systems use 11 volt plugs (like 13G Delcos).

I like the Wellmans/WAPs for a 12 volt glow-system. GO50s. They've held up every bit as good for me as the Berus that come in the AC Delco 60G boxes and the Bosch Duratherm 80034 plugs. The Bosch and Wellmans reach 1600 degrees F in 6 seconds. The Delco/Berus are slower and take 11-12 seconds to reach the same temp.

I had no problems with any of those three - mainly just a matter of best price when I needed them. I've had Wellman GO50s in two of my trucks for four years now with no failures.

Can't comment on the Wellman 24 volt versions used in the military versions.

The 24V military OEM AC13Gs or Wellman/WAP GO70s are single coil and not self-limiting. They can burn out and blow part pretty easy when run too long.
Not something I care to use in anything.

I am currently in the painstaking process of getting 7 (...well now 6) swollen Wellmans out of my M1009.

I got a good deal ($45 shipped) on a new OTC remover on fleebay, and received it Friday. And the split nut broke at the hinge on the first GP I tried to remove. aua aua It still works, but it's a bit of a P.I.T.A to get both halves on the GP threads, and get a wrench on there.

I am still awaiting a response from the company I bought it from to see if I can get a new replacement or a refund.

I'd really like a JJ&A racing glowplug remover, but they've been out of stock for at least 2 weeks, and the date they expect to get them in-stock keeps getting pushed back. It's now tol 12/22 (which at the rate it's going probably means closer to new years... :|

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had a plug swelled so bad it would not come out - I'd just stick it back in and leave it unplugged. 6.2s will start well enough when a plug or two is non working.
Bad advise, if you have a stock CUCV GP system.

The 24V military OEM AC13Gs or Wellman/WAP GO70s are single coil and not self-limiting
AC13G's are 12V. CUCV's do not use 070 wellman's, Humvee's(24V) use them. CUCV's use 12V GPs.

Many of us here on SS have had nothing but trouble with Wellmans(050).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks