• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

t-136-27 ???

otisd85

i am looking for a transfer case for my pickup, and want something bigger than a np205, so i was thinking a rockwell t-136-27 would be the way to go, but ive been having a hard time finding info on them.

my questions are, what do these weigh, and does anybody have dimensions on them? i have read they have a 12" offset, but cant find dimensions on how wide, tall, thick, and long they are?

also how do they work? from pics i have seen they look like they have a air shifter and a shift rail you would have to hook to a manual lever, what do each do? air=high/low, or how does that work?

lastly, are these full time 6x6, or does the front disengage to free spin, for rear wheel drive only?

sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but it just doesn't seem like there is 2.5 ton of info posted for how these work, and i am not familiar with the deuce.

thanks in advance, otis

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The air shifts the front drive in and out (this could be made to shift manual without air with a little work) , the shift rail is for high/low

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They weigh between 3 and 4 NP205s. Physical dimensions are similar, about the size of 3 or 4 205s.

otisd85

they weigh as much as what engine, a 3-400lbs small block, or a 1200lbs 5.9l cummins?

i have two 5ton t cases, that i got in trade, these are a bit bigger than i am looking to use, compared to the 5 ton how big would you say a deuce case is?

otisd85

any chance someone has some pics, or links to pics of a deuce t case next to a 205, or a 5 ton case for comparison? i guess weight isn't much of an issue, as the truck is going to have a 12v 6bt, and a fso8406, im really just looking for some size comparison to decide if i think i can make it fit under my truck, or if i need to try and find something else.

the deuce case has the same basic features as a 205, correct? 2 or 4 wheel drive, and high and low, with the added benefit of being able to put it in low while being in rear wheel drive? please correct me if this is wrong.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to guess I'd estimate weight at 700#. Your analysis on function is correct and it's also synchronized. If I had to compare physical size I'd say it's roughly 3/4 the size of the 5 ton case and laid out similarly. They are not as strong as they are heavy. The thing about it is it's vary tall for a transfer case. Plan on it hanging nearly a foot below the frame on your truck. You won't have much room between the frame to clock it very much if you were planning on it. Considering the fact that it's 3 times the size and weight of a 205, it's no where near 3 times as strong, doubt that its twice as strong. Are you having a problem breaking the 205s? That's the one transfer case that I would think could handle the beating.

otisd85

i am a member of pirate, and thats what lead me here. the truck is still in the gathering parts/design stage, and i am getting dangerously close to the build stage. my original plan was a 205, but have come across many nay sayers. i already have a divorced 205 i planed on using, but the thing looks puny behind the 6 speed fuller fso8406, and when i started looking into it, lots of people are saying with the torque of a high horse cummins, and the helical cut gears in the 205, it likes to split the case and spit the gears out.

honestly i could care less about grenading the 205, but i would hate to buy the custom driveshafts for a 205, then have to source a different t case and have to get all new custom drive shafts again. mainly i guess i just dont want to have to buy custom driveshafts twice.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be stumbling into uncharted territory. I'm not aware of any high HP applications using this transfer case. Member hotroddeuce has a 12V cummins in a deuce and his is a crew cab. Don't know what kind of HP he's pulling.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
any chance someone has some pics, or links to pics of a deuce t case next to a 205........
Some (fuzzy)pics, plus basic dimensions, below....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Gringle beat me to it on size comparison pictures. :grd:

There is a soda can next to the Deuce t-case for size comparison in the first picture. Took a bit, but I did find some pictures on the start of the "Doubler" project.

Attachments

DMaddox

Any updates on this topic. I am in the process of a crawler build and am trying to decide on a t-case. What did you decide to go with? How did the 205 hold up to the hp

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbo deuce motor is rated at 139 HP, someone else will have to give you the max torque rating, but if I remember correctly the 5.9 Cummins can exceed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks