• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

t case problems no high range. m818

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please tell me its just an adjustment to the linkage. I finally got around to working on a 818 I "won" a few weeks ago. This particular truck had all the fluids drained and most of the drain plugs missing.

Any how today put in the drain plugs, changed the filters(the old ones looked new) and filled the crankcase with oil. With darkness approaching I decided to see if she would start. After about three hits of the starter she fired right up and settled down to a nice idle. To this point everything is going great.

I suppose into everyones life must come a little sorrow.

I put the truck in gear with the t-case lever up in high range and nothing happend. No movement. I could feel the t-case lever vibrate a little as if it was not all the way engaged but you could not pull the the lever up any higher.

Everthing seemed fine in low range. I ran out of Sun light and could continue no further trouble shooting.

I searched through the forum and found similar problems but those all had high range and no low range.

What do you guys think? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

wbv

I would guess the problem is the synchronizer in transfer case. I did not have low range and my synchronizer had disintegrated in the case. I ended up replacing the entire transfer case instead of just this part.

Where are you in GA? I know of a place that has 'retired' 5 ton tractors that might be a source for a replacement.

wbv

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm located in Kathleen GA about 20 miles south of Macon and 100 miles south of Atlanta. very interested in the replacement t-case

wbv

Here is a picture of the 'boneyard'. Most of these tractors were retired because of transmission problems and the transfer cases may be ok.

It is located in east central AL (about 40 miles or so west of Columbus, GA)

wbv

Attachments

bobbed818

Check that all the linkages are free of rust. The linkages on my m52 are rusted and the only way to get it into high range is to use a pry bar from under the truck to fully engage high gear. Haven't had time to take it apart yet to free it up.

bugei

+1 to what wbv said.

my 816 did this, and the synchro had siezed itself up on the low range gears. every symptom exactly as described by setoyota, even the vibration when trying to "shove" the tx case into high range.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please pass along the info on the boneyard. I would be interested in a whole parts truck. My low range works fine in the truck I don't have high range. Are there 2 sets of synchros one for low and one for high?

thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

wbv

Yes, first test would be to check for loose metal in the transfer case itself. Then check how smoothly the shafts will turn in the replacement. My old one was rough when turning and had some play in the shafting. The parts from the synchronizer had damaged some of the other gears as they made their way to the bottom of the case. The replacement had neither so we decided to put it in the truck and run it.

The owner of the 'boneyard' seemed to know what happened to each of the trucks. He said that they mostly lost low gear and reverse in the transmission. These were 'pull-out' trucks for the logger and (probably) ran in low range most of their life pulling loaded log trailers to the highway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks