• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tachograph questions

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I have an M920 and of course it has a tachograph in it which I unplugged when I got the truck because I was told to not let it run without recording paper in it, the unit appeared to work fine when I unplugged it but is there a way that I can use this unit and possibly disable the paper portion of it so I can plug it back in, or is this just a disabled component now?
Thanks much for thoughts!
Karl

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe some pics of what you're talking about and what its for? I myself have never seen such a creature.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Simp might be able to help you out here. I saw the taco's and watch lots of our drivers manage to cheat them. But how, I didnt want to know.
Help from Simp is a possibility, but I guarantee he doesn't run one.
What about looking in the TM for your M920?

The papers are still available, and the "Pens" are also available because I use those on humidity monitoring equipment in the print shop. Yours on a truck would be electrically powered rather than battery powered like the portables here.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As ive always understood it the tackograph was primarily used overseas to act as a recording devise to use against the driver if theyve been driving to long like our modern E-LOG is now over here ! We had paper log books and europe had tackographs so basically its just a tool for law enforcement to govern commercial drivers ! I know for the last 35 yrs overseas the entertainer buses all came with 2 drivers and they had a bunk in the lower bay for the other driver to rest and when they change drivers they have to take their disc out of the tack and the fresh driver put his disc in and they get checked all the time !

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes and no, over seas. The Military is, or was anyway, not required to have/use a Tachograph by the Germans. Nor to have two drivers. I never saw an Army long hauler with a shotgun. The Tachograph was used by the Military to insure the driver took breaks and slept. When I was in the 611th Ord Co. we had about 21? M915's. The drivers never even used the Tachograph unless the trip was over 12 hours.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As ive always understood it the tackograph was primarily used overseas to act as a recording devise to use against the driver if theyve been driving to long like our modern E-LOG is now over here ! We had paper log books and europe had tackographs so basically its just a tool for law enforcement to govern commercial drivers ! I know for the last 35 yrs overseas the entertainer buses all came with 2 drivers and they had a bunk in the lower bay for the other driver to rest and when they change drivers they have to take their disc out of the tack and the fresh driver put his disc in and they get checked all the time !
Not really sure how it is supposed to work, but back in the day when companies treated their employees a little better - the tachograph was used to measure the rules - but also was used to verify new routes. Carolina Freight (now defunct) used them on everything. So long as the driver and the company worked from the same rule book, everything worked just fine.

Interestingly, that piece of equipment not operating would deadline a tractor.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe some pics of what you're talking about and what its for? I myself have never seen such a creature.
Biggest problem is if you do not feed him he will eat the pencil and then you have to replace the pencil. He is pretty good at telling speed and RPM for some reason.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
nobody knows about this device?
Doesn't show you much, but there is a door behind the speed gauge that holds the paper. Square hole to turn the paper and a series of pens for speed and rpm. If somebody has a 915, 916, or a 920 maybe they could snap a picture of it open...

M920 Tachograph 01.jpg M920 Tachograph 02.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK the TM for my truck shows how to change out the paper to put new paper into the unit but says nothing about running the unit with NO paper, I agree with the statement that its going to ruin the pencils/drawing device but in all seriousness I will never use it for graphing anything nor do I care my main question is can I plug the unit back in and run it with no paper for the rest of the trucks life or will there be damage to the point that nothing on the device works any longer? The TM simply states that with every new driver/every day the paper needs to be replaced.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK the TM for my truck shows how to change out the paper to put new paper into the unit but says nothing about running the unit with NO paper, I agree with the statement that its going to ruin the pencils/drawing device but in all seriousness I will never use it for graphing anything nor do I care my main question is can I plug the unit back in and run it with no paper for the rest of the trucks life or will there be damage to the point that nothing on the device works any longer? The TM simply states that with every new driver/every day the paper needs to be replaced.
Assuming that the "pens" are replaceable, you should should be able to pop off the pens and never think about it again until you sell the truck of you ever do.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming that the "pens" are replaceable, you should should be able to pop off the pens and never think about it again until you sell the truck of you ever do.
Mullaney that sure seems like a good suggestion to me I will pull the case open and take a look they are obviously replaceable and can be pulled out. Thanks much good suggestion!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks