• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tacoma Area Mechanic

FridgeBrilliance

Hey PNW folks. I need to bring the m1009 in for some basic maintenance stuff as I am mechanically retarded. Looking for a shop you guys recommend. Preferably with a relatively decent labor rate, and that will let me supply my own parts.

So far I am looking at H&H Diesel Services, but their labor rate hurts, and RPM Northwest, with a more amicable labor rate, and Scott does sound confident about working on the CUCV.

Is there any "preferred" shop out there that the PNW-SS recommends? Preferably not TOO far from Tacoma.

Thanks guys.

64c30

Hey PNW folks. I need to bring the m1009 in for some basic maintenance stuff as I am mechanically retarded. Looking for a shop you guys recommend. Preferably with a relatively decent labor rate, and that will let me supply my own parts.

So far I am looking at H&H Diesel Services, but their labor rate hurts, and RPM Northwest, with a more amicable labor rate, and Scott does sound confident about working on the CUCV.

Is there any "preferred" shop out there that the PNW-SS recommends? Preferably not TOO far from Tacoma.

Thanks guys.

Try J.H. Larges. They're on Canyon Rd at about 128th. They do great work, and have worked on Mil Vehicles in the past.

FridgeBrilliance

Here is the updae of doom.

I recently bought a 1986 M1009 CUCV (military surplus diesel K5). I bought it as my daily driver because I rarely drive more than say 10 miles from my house in the North End of Tacoma. It is in great shape but I really don't trust vehicles much. The guy that sold it to me said that for long trips I should bring a socket set because the oil pan bolts come loose when it gets hot or some other such thing. I didn't pay attention because I expected some small problems and figured I would have time to work things out.

Fast forward to tonight, I just found out that my Dad has throat cancer and is refusing treatment, and apparently **** is going bad. He didn't have the stones or whatever to tell me. We aren't from WA, he moved here to be closer to his granddaughter and we don't have a real support system here so it is all on me to ease his passing, I guess (no idea how I am going to deal with this yet, still kinda shocked).

So I have to be able to get out there at the drop of a hat to help out with things, and I need help as far as a good mechanic here in Tacoma that can take a look at my rig, preferably tomorrow or the next day and give me the skinny and tell me the truth so I don't end up boned on the side of the road. Did I say I don't trust mechanics much either?

Enough babbling. Does anybody have any suggestions on who to take this thing to that is going to know what they are dealing with and is at least somewhat honest?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks