• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tahoe MP USMC Vehicle build

Larry Weibert

Hi Team. A few years ago I purchased a 2013 Police tahoe with 46k on it from florida.
The plan is to make it a USMC MP looking vehicle.
I finally got time and started building it. Ill be posting many pics.
Presently Tahoe.jpgrim.jpgTahoe HMMWV rim.jpgTahoe pic.jpg
Installing a 3 inch body lift,
3.5 inch suspension lift,
just finished converting 17 inch Rims to 17 inch HMMWV 24 bolt interesting with pics.
I converted 5 rims as one will be a spare on the back with a swing arm pics to come.Weld.jpg

Last edited:

Larry Weibert

Hi Team. A few years ago I purchased a 2013 Police tahoe with 46k on it from florida.
Today i installed the 3 inch lift kit and tossed on one of the HMMWV rims i built to see how it might look. They will have center caps and bolts in the 8 Humvee lug holes.

If your looking to do the same on a hummer i can explain how you could do that.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

Today I worked on the rear tire mount. I started with a hummer rear tire mount as they are cheap 179 on ebay. I used a piece of C channel 1,5 X 5 inch by 48 inches long. I used it so i could mount the spare from the rear hitch but made it so i still have a hitch. Tomorrow i will attach welded mounts on each end so its bolted on the left and right side as well into the steel reinforcement.
I mounted a tire and placed the mount on my 07 tahoe hitch to verify the clreance when open so the hatch can be opened it works well. I have more fabing ill hit it again tomorrow,

I mounted one wheel to test fit the rear mount.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

updates!

Today i got a little time to work on the back bumper, Youll notice the welded performance bumper mounting brackets that are to allow the bumper placement with the 3 inch body lift, I welded them on rather then bolt them, I really like the performance body lift the hardware is robust,

Next you see I started to bolt the added rear tire bracket to the bumper reinforcement. I used head bolts from a diesel job that had torque to yield head bolts. I save that stuff as this is a great place to use them and with the 12 point bolts it looks nice. I will eventually have to drill holes in the bumper cover to accommodate the bolts going into the reinforcement, I have to weld on the tie down loops and also weld the bolt fasteners for the back 8 bolts.

I should have it wrapped up soon then move to the front bumper work.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

updates!
I was a bit busy today. I worked on the back tire carrier.
Next started by reinstalling the bumper reinforcement then the bumper cover. I carefully transferred and drilled the holes to allow the carrier to be bolted trough the cover.
Next had to cut the three bolts off the carrier that hold the spare on and relocate them for the chevy 6 bolt as the original carrier was for a hummer 8 bolt.
Next bolted on the carrier and test fitted the spare to see how it opened etc.
It seems to work well. I had to temporarily tighten the swing arm bolts that are used to lower the tire. by having them loose there is to much sway in the tire carrier forward and back, I think ill run it tight as i can always loosen them if i need to drop the tire to change it out,
I will get it back off sand blast and epoxy prime it to get ready for paint. I think i might add a water can carrier to the swing arm tomorrow ill look at it and see how it might fit in.

So i ordered a 12000 winch and a RC mounting plate for a pickup that ill fab a bit to make it a hidden winch. I might add some tie downs in the front as well. I also ordered the shackle conversions for a pickup from RC ill fab them as well. There is a few you tube videos that confirm you can use the pickup items for the tahoe with a little work.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

Update . I know its been a bit i got busy with other projects but Iam getting pressure to get the lift freed up in the shop.

Ok so I started working on the winch and bumper set up.
Parts 12k winch with remote control and wired,
winch plate Rough country for a 1500 & 2500 chevy pick up but used on a tahoe.
Rough country D ring mounts made for 1500 & 2500 pickups,
So i started by mounting the winch plate. They RC say it doesnt work on the tahoe I found it very easy. Just had to hammer the frame tabs that stick out a 1/4 inch flat so the side plates bolt up flat. you can see in the pic. I also had to drill 4 holes on each side to add the required bolts the pic doesnt show them all but it gets bolted to death.
Next i welded 1 1/4 inch spacers behind the upper d ring plates so the D ring mount would protrude the right amount out past the bumper facia. then i carfully mounted and marked the faicia and cut out the slots for them and the winch opening.
It really fit nice as you can see the winch face plate is low on the licence plate area thats due to the 3 inch body lift as the winch mounts to the frame. You can see the finished look.
I plan on using the licence plate addapter plate to raise the plate just over the winch opening.

In the next week ill be mounting the drop down power running boards made for the 1500 /2500 pickups they say wont work on the tahoe ill keep you posted on that as well.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

Added pics.

had to cut out the lower corner of the RC mount to clear when installed as i had to mount them upside down so they would stick up instead of down to line up with the opening as the 3 inch body lift raised the hook hole 3 inches. By mounting them upside down they line up coming out of the facia just right.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks