• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tail gates same or different?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a difference in dropside and nondropside tail gates. The dropside is much taller.

Bill W

I don't know about other 5tons but the tailgate on my fixed sided deuce will not work on my fixed sided M-54A1., Its not tall enough for hook slots to match up, width is the same but tailgate needs to be about 3" higher to work on the M-54

sermis

Well at the time I posted I did not have time to surf and look it up and no “PARTS” book at work. I knew that when I had time to check the site again someone would have posted and given me an answer and I could make a decision. I needed to know because I could pickup two tailgates that were in fair condition but did not want to put money in them if they would not work. Question and answer, is that not the point of this site, not “LOOK IN THE MANUAL” or a school class on spelling.

Really gets old after a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill W

Yeah
But its hard to read past it when ace keeps posting it.. and posting it.. and posting it!! :roll:

Jake0147

I don't see why you would have to read past that, it looked like a good answer to me.

Question- are the tailgates the same size.
Answer- No, they are not.
Follow up- This information comes from the parts manual.

It looks to me like there's over 11,000 pages of technical documents that would appear to pertain to my Deuce (and no, I havn't read through them all yet) it's no wonder that it gets cited a lot. I'd bet a lot of it's redundant or doesn't really apply, but nonetheless there's still a wealth of info there.

Now had it gone a little differently, maybe like

Question- Are the tailgates the same size
Answer- Check your manual, have a nice day...

That would bug me. Only till I scrolled to the next post though.

2cents

houdel

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I feel the question was a fair one. Sermis was asking a question about a 5 ton part. I assume Sermis has a Deuce and has downloaded all the Deuce manuals but has not downloaded the 5 ton manuals. Rather than spend a bunch of time hunting for and downloading manuals which he would likely never use again, asking the question was reasonable. Now were he asking a strictly Deuce question like are the lugnuts the same part number left to right, then "look in the manual dummy!" would be appropriate.