• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking my M109 from Minneapolis to Crested Butte CO would love some contacts

blairenzo

Hi all I'm taking my first big trip this weekend (6/29ish) from Minneapolis through Denver and up to Crested Butte in my M109A3. I've changed all fluids, lubed, new belts, and alternator upgrade. The farthest I've driven it is about 100 miles and probably put 300 on it total and seems to run well. I was planning on taking the interstate highways so people can pass me easily if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears. I'd really appreciate any contacts along the way in case of trouble and any tips or suggestions for a smooth trip. I'd like to thank Scott(tie6044) for all his parts, help and advice he's a great guy to deal with and Peashooter for his help and sharing his amazing M109 conversion. Also thanks to all those on steel soldiers who have made this hobby/obsession not only possible but successful for me.
Blair

mcmullag

I think you will be fine whatever route you take. There are slow motorhomes out there too on the hills and the highways have pullouts for slower vehicles and sometimes an extra lane added for the uphill sections. take lots of pics and post them. Best of luck.

peashooter

Should be a good adventure for you. Let us know if you do have an issue that you need help on and we will spread the word to folks nearby. Here is a tip I recently learned from someone else's post: close all your (cab's) windows and just pop open 1 side of the windshield a few inches, it makes a magical difference in keeping the interior comfortable. Wish I would have known about it a couple years ago!

blairenzo

Haven't left yet had a ripped boot but Tie6044 hooked me up hoping to leave tomorrow night or Thursday morning.1200 Miles. Thanks for the reply's

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate running the Interstates, everyone is passing me at 20mph over my speed. We prefer the highways where the speed limit is usually around our speed. I hate running the Interstates, everyone is passing me at 20mph over my speed. We prefer the highways where the speed limit is usually around our speed. We also think 200 - 300 miles is a days run. That's 5 or 6 hours right there.

Ditto what Peashooter said, open one of the windows to the first notch (they're made so that it will hold better at a certain distance), I prefer the one in front of me, and close everything else. If you really want some air open both that far.

Check your oil after you shut down everyday and watch for the tranny dumping into the bell housing. I find if we don't have our level set just right it will on long runs.

You'll probably only get 3rd gear climbs in the mtns, so be ready for that. You'll be out of 5th pretty fast, and 4th will only get you so far. Once you're in 3rd it'll be 28mph the rest of the climb. Just sit back and enjoy the views ;)

We've also found that earphones for mp3 players work better than safety ones, and you get to listen to your music.

Other than that, take your time and enjoy the sites.

blairenzo

Yeah been having trouble posting photos tried a few times after upload nothing shows up. What do you do to keep the tranny from dumping and what to do if it happens? Thanks

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We found that on her 109 it liked to be 2 knuckels down from the edge of the fill hole. So, finger in to the second knuckle and just be able to touch the oil. It's easy to touch the side, being that it's sloped right there, so watch that you're only touching oil level and not the oily side. (I wouldn't drop it this low unless it's dumping. Not all trannys need to be this low)
Our first year out she had loads of trouble w/ that and we ended up carrying brake cleaner that we could spray up into the bell housing, sometimes through the drain hole, sometimes taking off the access plate and spraying from there.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update and ENJOY the adventure!! Not many can say they have done, what we Steelsoldiers, routinely do, drive military vehicles for TONS of miles!! Stay safe and "rubber side down, painted side don't steer worth a darn!"

God bless,
Tony

KaiserM109

Blairenzo,
I haven't been paying much attention to SS lately and I missed your posts until today. I would have been glad to meet you for dinner or something when you were going through Denver.

Now, about what's still going on, where are you going next?

Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado (MVCC) is having a rally about halfway between Crested Butte and Denver on US-285: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123509-Colorado-MVCC-Rally&highlight=

If that fits your schedule, you might meet some great folks. It’s up for grabs whether or not I’ll be able to make it because of family conflicts and truck licensing problems; I’ll just have to see.

Is your M109A3 turbo or not? Mine is not and I don’t think it has the power to do what you are doing. How is your performance at altitude? How high did you go with it?

I would really like to hear how your 109 did.

blairenzo

All sucessfully up there

Hi all got the M109A3 from Wisconsin, the M109A3 from Boulder and a M715 from Gunnison all up the mountain. They all ran pretty well but kept a top speed of 49MPH and a lot slower at higher altitudes and inclines. The one from Boulder didn't have a turbo but did fine and all are sitting at 10,250 ft. It was a long slow trip but I am very thankful that everything made it. Night time seemed to work the best as there was cooler temps, less traffic, and headlights made it easier to see people coming up to pass. I've tried resetting internet explorer and turning off my antivirus but just can't seem to be able to get any pics added even resized small. Thanks for everyone's help and hope to make it out to the Iola, WI show this weekend

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks