• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking the ole 43 out

zout

My ole chariot took a crap yesterday and waiting for the shop to give me a quote on repairing the ole 96 Stratus with 219000 miles on it (yes the one that was stolen last year and recovered).

Hitched a ride home from work last night - went down and did the pretrip on the ole 43 - took it to work this morning. Now talk about folks heading to work in the 45 zone that wish to go 80 and run up on me.

Teaching patience this morning in the traffic and just did the best to stay out of everyones way and just mozey my way into work.

She ran out great and likes it around 48 mph with all the components pretty much in tune of rumbling @trans @diff's @transfer case.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice.:beer:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
My ole chariot took a crap yesterday and waiting for the shop to give me a quote on repairing the ole 96 Stratus with 219000 miles on it (yes the one that was stolen last year and recovered).

Hitched a ride home from work last night - went down and did the pretrip on the ole 43 - took it to work this morning. Now talk about folks heading to work in the 45 zone that wish to go 80 and run up on me.

Teaching patience this morning in the traffic and just did the best to stay out of everyones way and just mozey my way into work.

She ran out great and likes it around 48 mph with all the components pretty much in tune of rumbling @trans @diff's @transfer case.
Man..that's how ole MV's were meant to save the day!!:-D

I hope it's a cheap easy fix on the ole Stratus!:cry:

Srjeeper

Look on the bright side Zout.....ya won't have any trouble findin it in the parkin lot at the end of the day....plus if ya wear out on the way home, you got a place to take a nap..:beer:

Tanner

Driving along to the tune of the Mechanical Whine Chorus? Who needs a radio? :mrgreen:

You should have driven it yesterday, as August 1st was National Middle Finger Day... though some drivers in your journey may have thought that it was today.

'Tanner'

zout

Well I see alone the 37 should get 6 mpg - add on the weight of the ambulance section and after today - I bet she gets a good 4 mpg - holy chit.

Its not a daily driver for sure but it was fun - and more fun stacking up Atlanta traffic behind me.

The first trip out on July 4 which was a 28 mile trip and after today adding another 22 miles on it (all starting with a full tank) I popped $58.81 worth of regular in it at 17.001 gallons.

Anyone want to buy a couple of my grandsons so I have $$$ to put fuel in it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well I see alone the 37 should get 6 mpg - add on the weight of the ambulance section and after today - I bet she gets a good 4 mpg - holy chit.

Its not a daily driver for sure but it was fun - and more fun stacking up Atlanta traffic behind me.

The first trip out on July 4 which was a 28 mile trip and after today adding another 22 miles on it (all starting with a full tank) I popped $58.81 worth of regular in it at 17.001 gallons.

Anyone want to buy a couple of my grandsons so I have $$$ to put fuel in it.
I'll take the little "squirrel" that ask if he can have biscuits and gravy for Thanksgiving!!:beer:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All those other trucks looked out of place in your parking lot. :)

P.S. I found you can get more for grandchildren if you sell them as a pair.

Stan Leschert

So .... Did you have fun? Plan B must have been great to drive.

I know that you are not a show off guy,
But what size of Fire Axe do we need to wipe that grin off your face?

Your resto job on this old wounded warrior was top shelf.

Kinda nice that you got to take it out on an urgent run ....
IE: Must get to work to pay for Green Trucks!

zout

Hey Stan - when I am at work - folks are standing in line to gladly wipe any smile I have off my face or take my happy attidtude away - I know you get that one.

I just love that 43 - she's a classic.

WIll have to be selective on when and where I take it out - but I was very glad it was here yesterday - I am never ever late for work and always early and she served PROUDly.:beer:

zout

Here is the product I am going to clear coat the 43 with - after sanding it down with 1500 & 2000 wet sanding.

Note this is a flat clear and it will need two coats, You can look up the product from this info off the cans.

Enjoy - results to come as soon as I can get off my fat butt to get it started.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here is the product I am going to clear coat the 43 with - after sanding it down with 1500 & 2000 wet sanding.

Note this is a flat clear and it will need two coats, You can look up the product from this info off the cans.

Enjoy - results to come as soon as I can get off my fat butt to get it started.
I've never been much of a fan of clearcoat on vehicles down here in the south UNLESS the vehicle spends most of it's time indoors or protected from the sun/elements.

Seems like it always bubbles up and flakes off on me.:whistle:

zout

DAP - it was about $278 for clear and hardener.

Really got sick and tired of the 43 paint slowly disentegrating into a pile of chit - temps and just the way I shot it a year ago did not just settle down corretly and this is what I was stuck with - SO - I was bored the week after surgery and whipped out the DA sander and 8 rolls of 180 and 6 rolls of 320 - played whoop arese on it.

Got so far along today and heat sort of just dropped off (yes that 150 reading from the roof surface is correct) She dropped down to under 100 and I decided to spray the Crossfire.

I will get one more coat on the roof tomorrow - but I am going to sand it down a bit and get a better bite this time.

When all done I will clean up the edges on the cross's and go after everything with the clear.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks