• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Heater Generator

54reo

I don't know if this should be posted here or in the Armor section, so if a mod needs to move it, go ahead. I apologize if it is in the wrong forum.

I bought this generator sight un-seen in an auction lot. Was told of a "military generator" and I thought it may work for the missing light plant in my 1951 Bucyrus-Erie 22B. Well, it appears to be from a tank (the armored kind, not the fluid containing kind), and I figured it would be better to find someone needing one for their tank restoration than to try to make it into something it is not to suit my needs.

The generator that I'm looking for is a one cylinder Kohler, 120 volt ac. Tis one is a Homelite, 30 volt dc.

So I guess my question is:

1) Is there anyone on SS that could use it for their armor?
2) Is there anyone on SS that can tell me what tank this is from?
3) Anyone interested in a trade of sorts for the correct generator for my application?

Thanks in advance for any info or insight that anyone could share in this matter.

Thanks, Brian

Attachments

Armada

RE: another pic

Hmm.. that's a neat piece of equipment. Made by Homelite even. I didn't realize they've been around for so long. Does it run?

Yeah, I have one just like that. I was told it was from an M60. The fuel tank for it is elsewhere on the tank. It is for charging the batteries if they get too low I guess. 24 volts DC.

John

Boatcarpenter

Found this doing a little searching:
US Army, 1942 002608--TM 9-1752 Ordnance Maintenance Auxiliary Generator (Homelite Model HRH-28) for Medium Tank M3-1942 51 Pages 1942 THIS DOCUMENT IS FURNISHED ON CDROM FORMAT The heater-generator model HEH-28 is a self-contained machine designed for supplying 1,500 watts, 30 volts, d-c power for charging the tank batteries, and also for preheating the tank engine in cold weather by means of heat from an electric heater element and heat from the generator engine. In addition, the unit can be utilized for heating the crew compartment. It consists essentially of an electrical generator with controls, directly coupled to, and driven by, a gasoline engine. The unit is mounted in the crew compartment on four shock-absorbing feet, and with a metal heater duct extending from the unit to the tank engine compartment. THIS DOCUMENT IS FURNISHED ON CDROM FORMAT . CD ROM-New. CD ROM Verision.
BC

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've come across several of these generators(similar design with a fuel tank under it ), I often wonder how many were made(or surplussed). Just this summer at an antique engine and tractor show I found a guy with 3 of them for sale! He said they are noisy, smokey and gas hogs! I guess when it come to collecting military stuff, practical is not a consideration.

54reo

Thanks for the info guys! The engine has great compression and the points seem good, I just haven't had the time to mess with getting it running.

I also ran across the TM for the M3. I think that engine has the inverted cylinder though. This one may be newer, I don't know. Apparently, the engine could be started with the generator, using the tank's electrical system, by pressing a button that motorized the generator. A provision for a rope is also on the front of the engine. The voltmeter is missing, as well some of the wiring.

Again, thanks for the info. Still hoping someone here may need this thing.

Brian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks