• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank ID

Barrman

I left work at 1030 Central time today to go to my son's school for lunch. As I pulled up to US290 a tractor truck loaded down with a rusty tank went by headed East toward Houston. I couldn't get the camera out in time to get a picture. I also don't have David's book here at work so I thought I would ask here for an ID.

The rear of the tank looked like a Sherman. Except the side armor appeared to be riveted on instead of welded or a solid casting. I didn't see a turret or gun tubes. The front was pretty much a solid slab with Sherman looking view ports, but it didn't look like a Sherman. If that makes sense.

I will be at the LSMVPA meeting tonight at Camp Mabry so I will look over their old tanks and see if I can figure out what it is.

Anybody in Houston getting a tank today?

Elwenil

Hard to say from that description. Early versions of the M3 Stuart had riveted panels. Several early WWII British and American tanks had riveted construction but the styling varied wildly.

Barrman

The camera was in the door pocket of the Suburban Chris. By the time I saw the tank and started reaching for the camera, the truck was gone. I thought about chasing it down but I had Jennifer with me and we were going to each lunch with Colton so I didn't.

The middle and right picture have the right look. I saw it from the left side of the hull and can't be sure about the gun tube on the right side.

I thank you for the pictures.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, it was a pleasure meeting you tonight. First time we have had six Steel Soldiers in the room- Sarge, Barrman, mkcoen, Pawnshop, Iron7, and me. Not a big deal for the guys up north, but for those of us in central Texas, which is only close to other parts of Texas, it was pretty cool.

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rory the pleasure was all mine (other than getting home at 11:30). I hope to get a chance again in the near future. You've got a great group up in Austin.

Barrman

M3 Lee I am sure. Between the pictures here and the models and such at the museum last night.

It was kind of neat having our own support group. "I got my eye on a truck...." The rest of us "BUY IT!"

Then there was the scene in the parking lot. Grown men crawling over each other to look at parts in boxes stacked in somebodies trunk. "OOOOOHHHHH, I want that, how much?' "No, thats mine!" "My batteries are going in the light, what is that part?" Colton didn't help much when he found the hand grenades either. Good thing the police were already there because we probably looked like a bunch of meth heads mobbing a dealer.

Thanks for the help on the tank ID and it was nice to see you guys last night.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if any 'normal' folk had seen what we were squabbling over, they just wouldn't understand!
"Harold, why was that guy all excited about an old military fire extinguisher dated 1973?? And what is a V100??" :-D

I ended up with someone's WWII cigarette packs in my tail light box, I need to find out who was supposed to get those and pass 'em on.

Twas a good evening, enjoyed it.

shootER

I wonder if it was going to Brent Mullins in College Station.

Several years ago I attended one of his open houses and, while wandering the grounds, nearly stumbled over a .30 cupola from an M3 Lee.

Maybe he's finally getting the rest of the tank? :p

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The rumor mill has had it since August a M3 Grant (very similar to Lee, turret is "fatter" would be moving from California to College Station.

Perhaps there was some truth to these rumors.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks