• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tech post: Manual Steering not to play around here!

Wy-m880

Good day all, i was driving to the salvage yard to day with my 886 and had notice the steering was getting very sloppy, and progressed worst on way back, i pulled over mid return trip and checked everything like drag links, balljoints, ect.. and noticed it was in the steering box its self, I pulled up the rubber splash shield and was about to adjust the worm gear end play, when i noticed two bolt had backed out, but wait not only 2 but all four! tightening them back in and checking play again not all was bad but it still had play, then taking my 5/8 wrench loosing the adjustment locking bolt and using a tough flat head screw driver on adjustment screw for worm gear until i had no end play, my word of wise is never over tighten the adjustment only screw snuggly tight and back off 11/4 turn, check play.mine is not too much and not too little is my preference should be normal 1in of play, and over tightening the worm gear will prove failure causing too tight of mesh between them. Illustrations are for torque specs.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks