• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Technical manual recommendations

Guyfang

Staff member
Click on this link. It will take you to the TM Forum for your truck. On your truck, there is a data plate. It gives you the model and NSN for your truck, as well as the operators TM number. Find that TM in this TM thread.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just purchased a M35A2 and wanted to know which technical manual would be most helpful, ,as far as operation, servicing, and repairs?

Thank you!
Welcome to the Outfit!

The link that @Guyfang provided gets you to the right section of the site. There are "dash numbers" on the end of the file name that tell you what the purpose are for the books. For example a "Dash 10" means that TM is the equivalent of the owners manual in civilian life.

TM9-2320-209-10-1 <------ The 1 in this position means First Book in a series
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . | The 10 in this position means Operator Guide

As a general rule, the other "Dash Numbers" are something like this (below)
The "-20" is Maintenance
The "-24P" is Maintenance Parts
The "-34" is Troubleshooting
The "-35" is Depot Maintenance

You are in the CONVERSATIONS part of the site. That works well for general chewing of the fat. To get you more involved here, create a thread for your new Deuce. Possibly post up a few pictures of your New-To-You truck. We are definitely picture hounds here... Tell us about your truck. What will you use it for? Does it look like new or does it need some TLC?

Anyhow, Welcome to the group and happy to have your here!

Levi75

Welcome to the Outfit!

The link that @Guyfang provided gets you to the right section of the site. There are "dash numbers" on the end of the file name that tell you what the purpose are for the books. For example a "Dash 10" means that TM is the equivalent of the owners manual in civilian life.

TM9-2320-209-10-1 <------ The 1 in this position means First Book in a series
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . | The 10 in this position means Operator Guide

As a general rule, the other "Dash Numbers" are something like this (below)
The "-20" is Maintenance
The "-24P" is Maintenance Parts
The "-34" is Troubleshooting
The "-35" is Depot Maintenance

You are in the CONVERSATIONS part of the site. That works well for general chewing of the fat. To get you more involved here, create a thread for your new Deuce. Possibly post up a few pictures of your New-To-You truck. We are definitely picture hounds here... Tell us about your truck. What will you use it for? Does it look like new or does it need some TLC?

Anyhow, Welcome to the group and happy to have your here!
Thank you for all your help! How do I make a new thread?

Guyfang

Staff member
Thank you for your help and response. For now, can you kindly transfer it for me? (Done) Thank you!
And how will I locate the post?

Go to the Post Viet-Nam to Desert Storm Vesicles forum. In that forum is a sub forum, The Deuce. Your thread will be there.

Go to the same place, and at the top right side is a "POST THREAD" button. Click there and start writing.

ToddJK

If possible, you can print the TM's and put each one in a binder so you have some physical paper to look at, but it's hundreds of pages! The operators manual is definitely helpful, but typically newer owners or those with less experience working on a deuce need to have some guidance or help to fix or find the problem they are having, so the troubleshooting TM's I find to be the most helpful. On that everyone's milage will vary.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Levi,

I agree with @ToddJK about the TM's. Having them will definitely help when you are working a problem. Using them on a PC and using the SEARCH function will help find what you are looking for. Flipping hundreds of pages is intimidating, search levels that playing field a little. My "day job" is printing - so Yes! - I absolutely think paper copies are really useful. My paper copies have all kinds of notes in the margins of the printed books that I have. Down to the wrench or socket sizes to use on a particular project. Makes you look smart when you can walk out the door with the right two or three wrenches to fix a problem. :cool:

Now that @Guyfang has you on the right track for creating your own truck thread - You are on your way! We all want you to have the books, but don't hesitate to ask questions here too. The magic of the TM's are understanding what all these parts are called and what they do...

Last time (don't want to over do it)
Welcome to the Group!

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Read, read, read. Then you know what you might need to print. Like Mullaney, my personal TM's had hundreds of notes written in them. But I worked on Army equipment every day, for 20 years. TM's were our life blood. I feel a paper copy of the operators TM is a must. If you do a lot of repair, and in a place that has no power, then paper is good. I always tell people, "when the lights go out, press the on button on your computer 10,000 times, and see if it helps." And doing TM's on a phone, is senseless.

ToddJK

When I blew the head gasket in my old deuce, I printed off the section of the TM that I needed. That worked so much better than using my phone. leaving little side notes really helped too, especially on where I put things and the size of wrench/socket needed. The other notes that helped a lot were torque values as well.

rustystud

Read, read, read. Then you know what you might need to print. Like Mullaney, my personal TM's had hundreds of notes written in them. But I worked on Army equipment every day, for 20 years. TM's were our life blood. I feel a paper copy of the operators TM is a must. If you do a lot of repair, and in a place that has no power, then paper is good. I always tell people, "when the lights go out, press the on button on your computer 10,000 times, and see if it helps." And doing TM's on a phone, is senseless.
I like that statement of yours ( when the lights go out, press the on button on your computer 10,000 times and see if it helps) Thats priceless !!!!
I've said for decades now, that you need physical copies of all your important documents and books.
That is why I have hundreds of military manuals stashed away, plus five "Encyclopedia Brittanica" sets and hundreds of shop manuals.
Like I always say, "You never know" .

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I do NOT have all my TM's printed out, I do have a lot of books. Eleven floor to ceiling bookcases, most four feet wide, two under window bookcases five feet wide, and over 100 'Bankers Boxes' of books that I don't have bookshelves for. Plus another 50+ books waiting to be put into Banker's Boxes. The electronic versions of books, magazines, and manuals is another 101 Gigabytes spread over 929 folders. I am well on my way to being a "Dan Forrester" character in the novel "Lucifer's Hammer".

Darylfraser

I just purchased a M35A2 and wanted to know which technical manual would be most helpful, ,as far as operation, servicing, and repairs?

Thank you!
Congrats! Just got my first Deuce just before Christmas. The downloads available on this site and the information provided by the long time members is invaluable. Spend a couple evenings with a nice cold drink and peruse through the -10, -20, -20P and -34s. Plus there are numerous supplements in the Deuce TM section. And hard copies are great and can be found at reasonable prices. Portrayal Press sells a package. I have a ‘71 and have been able to locate period correct Vietnam era manuals through Ebay and Memphis Equipment to satisfy my OCD! And if you are looking for specific info, chances are it’s already been addressed somewhere on this site. Some thorough searching will find what you need.

Guyfang

Staff member
While I do NOT have all my TM's printed out, I do have a lot of books. Eleven floor to ceiling bookcases, most four feet wide, two under window bookcases five feet wide, and over 100 'Bankers Boxes' of books that I don't have bookshelves for. Plus another 50+ books waiting to be put into Banker's Boxes. The electronic versions of books, magazines, and manuals is another 101 Gigabytes spread over 929 folders. I am well on my way to being a "Dan Forrester" character in the novel "Lucifer's Hammer".
Rare is it that anyone knows who Dan Forrester is! Love it when like minds get together!! What a great book that was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Levi75

Thank you for your help and response. For now, can you kindly transfer it for me? (Done) Thank you!
And how will I locate the post?

Go to the Post Viet-Nam to Desert Storm Vesicles forum. In that forum is a sub forum, The Deuce. Your thread will be there.

Go to the same place, and at the top right side is a "POST THREAD" button. Click there and start writing.
Thank you very much for all of your help. I looked up the viet-nam post and The Duece thread, but could not find the post you forwarded. Thank you!

rustystud

Wow ! That is so cool that you have read "Lucifer's Hammer" !!!
That book had a profound effect on my life. I actually bought an "IHC Travelall" after reading it.
It started me on my book collecting too. As of now I have over 18,000 books. Most are technical manuals of one sort or another. I have books on blowing glass, foundry work, making my own machines ( I made my own lathe once with my own foundry ) . Gardening of all types. Name a fabrication or manufacturing discipline and I more than likely have a book on it. I even have books on making submarines.
My wife thinks it's my crazy obsession. She's never commented on it except to say why did I buy that fifth set of Encyclopedias.