• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tell me about engine brakes-where do I get one?

wolfmangk

I like the idea of having an engine brake on the LD-465- how much will I be looking at? Did any M35's come with an engine brake from the facory?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn did a whole article on this and added an exhaust brake to his truck. I have the impression he did not have to spend alot of $ because he found a couple of used ones but there was definitely some time and welding of the exhaust pipe involved.

acetomatoco

And, unless you are hauling freight for a living you do not need an "engine brake". There were some kits for the 10 ton around a while back, but that was just so the inexperienced drivers could shift them.... There never was a kit for the deuce and 5 tonner M series, but some folks have to have the Blue Ox... exhaust brake...you have to have a real air brake system to have the so called Jacobs engine brake...etc...spend some time putting the OHT in your AirPak and be productive....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you live in the mountains and haul heavy cargo, an exhaust brake is a great safety feature. During my cross country trip, the exhaust brake let me drive 45-50 mph for miles on end on 5-7% down grades in the Rocky Mountains, with very litle use of the service brakes. My total weight with trailer was about 31,000 lb at the time.

Alternately you can drive at a slower speed and rely on the inherent braking ability of the engine and drive train alone. In any case, the exhaust brake spares the service brakes for emergencies and quick stops by not overheating them.

My exhaust brake is activated by air. A butterfly valve closes the exhaust pipe to provide resistance during the exhaust stroke. Works best at high rpm since the effect is directly proportional to the number of exhaust strokes, duuh.
The back pressure is about 35 psi.

Very few truckers would attempt a down hill run without an engine brake, be it Jacobs, Williams exhaust brake, electric or hydraulic.

Look for a used one in a scrap yard or on ebay. I spent less than $100 for my system. The controller is the same as used to engage the front wheel drive on the deuce.

Also: http://www.brakesystemsinc.com/

Closing the valve helps warm the engine on a cold Winter day.

Attachments

acetomatoco

Bjorn has the busiest dashboard of any M series truck in the universe..just needs two or three microphone hangers.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone here ever installed the Williams Blue Ox exhaust brake used on the 10 ton into a deuce or 5 ton?

Curious if it would work and how it works. Seems to be about the right diameter.

Just found out about this reading the 10 ton story again on Vannatta site and it got me thinking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks