• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tension Spring Safety Question

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a newer trailer with a gate/ramp. To help raise and lower the gate/ramp they put a spring on one side. Works well and I check it often but it was pointed out that it could break and cause injury. I agree but I need a way to make safer.

I could put a chain through it or a cable to try and catch but I don't know if that is the best or safest way.

Any ideas?

thx

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a newer trailer with a gate/ramp. To help raise and lower the gate/ramp they put a spring on one side. Works well and I check it often but it was pointed out that it could break and cause injury. I agree but I need a way to make safer.

I could put a chain through it or a cable to try and catch but I don't know if that is the best or safest way.

Any ideas?

thx
I agree that if the spring breaks, the gate/ramp might fall on you.
I wonder if there is a maintenance schedule for those springs?

I have a larger trailer that is hydraulically power up and power down.
I t doesn't have a check valve in the system - so if a hose breaks - You better run because the fluid will spray you and those ramps are about six feet tall and about two feet wide. All steel... If they fall, it is gonna make a bad day into a really bad day.

You could definitely have a catch cable.
Regularly inspecting the springs might be the best plan of all...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulics breaking I understand, my backhoe broke a swing hose and blew out fluid all over the fence line is was pulling. Luckily it below and facing away from me.

A cable sounds like a better solution than a chain.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Youve got the idea just run say some 1/4 in cable while its ramp down and stretched out thru the length of the spring coming out both ends then make an eyelet on each end and self tapping screw into what evers close to capture the travel if the spring breaks ! They make ramp assist that bolt down where the spring is enclosed in a square tube and just a cable comes out the end of it to the ramp https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...L31us6EAxVZ48kDHQRGDGgQ9aACKAB6BAgEEBc&adurl=

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Youve got the idea just run say some 1/4 in cable while its ramp down and stretched out thru the length of the spring coming out both ends then make an eyelet on each end and self tapping screw into what evers close to capture the travel if the spring breaks ! They make ramp assist that bolt down where the spring is enclosed in a square tube and just a cable comes out the end of it to the ramp https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...L31us6EAxVZ48kDHQRGDGgQ9aACKAB6BAgEEBc&adurl=
That's easier than my idea of laying a dead raccoon across the spring to dampen the event......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks