• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas will not register my M35A3

338ken

I bought a M35A3 and have a Indiana Title, reular Commercial Insurance for personal use State Farm $990 year. Got truck inspected and got certified weight ticket 15,250 and they will not do anything but parade and car show plates. I cannot use it for anything. Truck is in excellent shape with (7) new tires. They keep saying only FMV plates which mean you cannot use it for anything. I drove 2,900 mile round trip and have a bunch of money invested, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

biscuitwhistler37

I bought a M35A3 and have a Indiana Title, reular Commercial Insurance for personal use State Farm $990 year. Got truck inspected and got certified weight ticket 15,250 and they will not do anything but parade and car show plates. I cannot use it for anything. Truck is in excellent shape with (7) new tires. They keep saying only FMV plates which mean you cannot use it for anything. I drove 2,900 mile round trip and have a bunch of money invested, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have read going to a more rural DMV office helps out there as opposed to the city, not sure where you tried. Not sure why they wouldn't register it if it passed inspection, especially since you have commercial insurance on it. Sounds to me like office incompetence.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a Texas title and registration; no parade plates. I sent my secretary to the courthouse with the previous title, bill of sale, dealer affidavit, U130 and a check: no issues in Kerr County. She came back with plates, the state mailed us the title.

Our title lists — vehicle identification number: <serial number off driver side dash plate (AT)...)>, year model: 2003, make of vehicle: STEW, body style: FB (flatbed), model: <blank>, weight: 16700, license: <is a typical passenger one>, odometer: EXEMPT, remarks: DIESEL

Our registration lists — registration class: TRUCK - MORE THAN 1 TON, plate type: PASSENGER - TRK PLATE, organization: <blank>, sticker type: WS, vehicle identification no: <serial number off driver side dash plate (AT0...)>, vehicle classification: TRK >1, yr/make: 2003/STEW, model: <blank>, body style: FB, empty wt: 16700, carrying capacity: 22000, gross wt: 38700,...

Our inspection does list model: M1078.

I hope you find the path forward—

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it at this point, but that doesn't sound like an M35A3 title, sounds like one for a Stewart and Stevenson M1078 (4x4 2.5ton LMTV)
This could come back and bite at a later date.

Cheers

338ken

I have read going to a more rural DMV office helps out there as opposed to the city, not sure where you tried. Not sure why they wouldn't register it if it passed inspection, especially since you have commercial insurance on it. Sounds to me like office incompetence.
You are right about a different office but there are only two where I live. I told them I would not leave till it was done and the State Farm Agent in Kerville Tx has (15) registered and driving with regular plates and regular insurance. The tax office was packed with probably 70-75 people standing and waiting. I made them call the State, I had to email a picture of it, they even called my agent to see if I had Commercial for private use insurance but finally got it done. I did not take NO for an answer, had too much time and money invested to lock it away for parades.

biscuitwhistler37

You are right about a different office but there are only two where I live. I told them I would not leave till it was done and the State Farm Agent in Kerville Tx has (15) registered and driving with regular plates and regular insurance. The tax office was packed with probably 70-75 people standing and waiting. I made them call the State, I had to email a picture of it, they even called my agent to see if I had Commercial for private use insurance but finally got it done. I did not take NO for an answer, had too much time and money invested to lock it away for parades.
That's how it's done!!!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good for you!
Sometimes you just have to stand up and say Hell No!

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it at this point, but that doesn't sound like an M35A3 title, sounds like one for a Stewart and Stevenson M1078 (4x4 2.5ton LMTV)

Cheers
Right. We have an M1078, @338ken has a M35A3. We helped him find insurance and have been trying to help with registration, too. No one is trying or suggesting to title or register vehicles falsely, thank you for your comments—

Last edited:

338ken

Right. We have an M1078, @338ken has a M35A3. We helped him find insurance and have been trying to help with registration, too. No one is trying or suggesting to title or register vehicles falsely, thank you for your comments—
Indiana title was for a American General M35A3 and serial/vin number matched my truck plate. I argued with them for 3- hours and twenty minutes and finally got it done

338ken

Cheers
Indiana title American General 1993 M35A3 and the vin matches the vin on my truck

338ken

What finally fixed it, talking to a supervisor?
Well we went to the boss of that whole office in the first few minutes. She kept saying it could not be used on the roads, FMV only. I told her that was a form 97 vehicle and I had a real Indiana title and it was registered there for street use. I got a regular inspection for out of state vehicles and they checked everything. I told her to call my Insurance agent I have Commercial Insurance for private use not the car show parade Hagerty or Grundy limited use insurance. We went round and round. Told her the agent in Kerville has (15) licensed and insured.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks