• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 transmission shift kit? Several other basic newbie questions

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1987 M1025. 6.2 L normally aspirated stock engine. TH400 transmission. Stock tires and transfer case. Stock pumpkins front and rear.

If I place a mild turbo with less than 10 pounds of boost and water injection, what is the best shift kit or after market modification I can place on the transmission that will improve shifting in a city environment? Should I keep the stock torque converter?

Is there a favorite transmission rebuild kit?

Is there any reason not to run a full synthetic fluid set in the engine and transmission and transfer case and pumpkins?

Has anyone of you guys added a second fuel reserve tank in order to run waste vegetable oil and or bio diesel?

Do you guys have a favorite brand of brake pad?

TIA

T

the bulletin board search function is somewhat helpful but I am still left with too many questions.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Summit Racing for TransGo shift kits. They make a wide range of really good kits for many applications from performance street to full on race. You can find Summit by web searching their name. I have used both the street and full race kits and find them easy to install with the step by step instructions they provide. All modifications are done in the valve body and in the case of Mopar 727 the accumulator, you do not need to pull the transmission.
I would also recommend them for rebuild kits from stock to performance. They are very helpful with questions on the phone.
I cannot comment on the other questions you ask because I do not own one of these trucks.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1987 M1025. 6.2 L normally aspirated stock engine. TH400 transmission. Stock tires and transfer case. Stock pumpkins front and rear.

If I place a mild turbo with less than 10 pounds of boost and water injection, what is the best shift kit or after market modification I can place on the transmission that will improve shifting in a city environment? Should I keep the stock torque converter?
There are Turbo kits out there, they need to be modified to fit a HMMWV.

Is there a favorite transmission rebuild kit? TH400 has been around for many years, talk to a good trans shop.

Is there any reason not to run a full synthetic fluid set in the engine and transmission and transfer case and pumpkins?
Waste of money IMO...all up to the end user IMO.
Has anyone of you guys added a second fuel reserve tank in order to run waste vegetable oil and or bio diesel?

While rare, under fender mounted fuel tanks are available, I know cuz I had a set years ago, but they were not cheap.
Im not an Eco person, I could give a s**t about running anything other then diesel in my truck.
what I do know from people who have done it is that it really makes a mess of the fuel system, injector pumps mostly.
Cold climates require heaters and other issues relating to your French Fry oil solidifies.

Hawk brand
TIA

T

the bulletin board search function is somewhat helpful but I am still left with too many questions.

There are Turbo kits out there, they need to be modified to fit a HMMWV.

Is there a favorite transmission rebuild kit?
TH400 has been around for many years, talk to a good trans shop.

Waste of money IMO...all up to the end user IMO.

While rare, under fender mounted fuel tanks are available, I know cuz I had a set years ago, but they were not cheap.
Im not an Eco person, I could give a s**t about running anything other then diesel in my truck.
what I do know from people who have done it is that it really makes a mess of the fuel system, injector pumps mostly.
Cold climates require heaters and other issues relating to your French Fry oil solidifies.

Hawk brand pads

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLK HMMWV

I used to drag race my GTO using a TH400. It is simple and entirely mechanical. I am loath to change the transmission to anything with electric but I appreciate your input.

I know a lot of people swapped to 6.5, but given that I will eventually rebuild this engine, I figured why purchase another engine and someone else's headache?

Nothing is definitely off the table, and if my engine turns out to be a dog, they are selling 6.5 engine's with turbo chargers for about $3500.

I asked what peoples' favorites are because transmission kits have changed over the years and shift kits have changed over the years, and given the requirements of this vehicle I wanted to know if certain torque converters and certain rebuild kits have turned out to be superior.

I use waste vegetable oil turned into bio diesel because it is a natural solvent and keeps the engine running very clean, ( although it kills anything rubber that it comes in contact with,, like hoses).

Thanks!

T

Last edited: