• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

That Old Paint Is Tough!

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Media blasted the last items but boy what problems. The hood and front fenders could not be completely stripped with the media. The hood was the worst and, as you can see in the picture, black primer and a lime green paint resisted the blasting. The other top coats came right off. That stuff is HARD!!! I had to sand and use my grinder with a wire wheel to get it off.

This was only on the parts mentioned. The rest of the truck did not have this resistant paint so I assume replacement parts were installed sometime. I wonder why that paint is like epoxy as back then, I don't think epoxy paints existed.

Attachments

Tuko

my truck has 3 layers on it. red (current) bright yellow, then OD. I spilled some brake fluid on the tailgate, where it pooled all the paint came off but the OD looked brand new.

zout

As WarrenD mentioned - I hope for your sake whatever paint you were removing you had the proper air respirator on and working properly as well.

Never trust the paint as some of it was even lead based folks put on back then - now you start sanding thinking it is nothing special and the lead goes nowhere excpept into your system like CARC or variables of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks