• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Chicago drop and swap

It all started out as a normal trip. If running with Gimpyrobb,Hatteras4164 ,an Docfarmall could be normal. It all started friday afternoon with Curt helping load the 105 trailer for Chvss65 and Ranchhoppers truck to go to chicago that night when Gimpy gets there add a hard top and we are off to chicago . not a dull moment all the way to Chvss65's house drop his trailer very nice fellow. So some how while crusing tword Ranchhoppers we miss the turn buy a few miles after bach tracking we found it ( i had to put that in or Gimpy would have told on me since i had the directions ) its getting colder and snowyer all the time . We get to Ranchhoppers and drop his truck off and drop trailer then set out to find Hateras's truck luckly its in behind a wendys grab a bite and it fires right up surprize Craig had already been there got it up and running good job . Nice truck too grab title and its off we go back to Ranchhoppers to dismember this truck so we can haul it home runs pretty good needs a tuneup and carb overhaul . Once back at Hoppers we take the bed off and put the cargo bed on and load it to the hilt. Then in the snow and frigide cold put it on the trailer and load the 185 box behind it . Not bad were pull out round 10pm get lost a second time (not my fault) finally getting to rising sun round 0700 today south of chicago we hit ice and snow so 40 to 50 was tops till we get to rising sun gimpy give me a breack for a while then when we got to rising sun in sheet of ice let me try to make it up the hill to Andyindy's which i can say DID NOT happen went bout 60' up and broke traction then didnt have enough bakes to hold us and were are sliding back down a few inches at a time this is not funny bout this time here comes a lil car down hill it the sweet lil waitress from jacks place we get to go on by and we are still slipping down alittle faster now building a lil more speed then bout the lenght of the rig she starts up oh crap so its time for the real stunl show and down we go out on the highway just luck shear luck out the road we go taking the long way to Andyindys . drop truck and trailer off . and getting some rest . I no i no pics will come later today as with the rest of the story of unloadin since we are headed that way in a bit. Just for the record Thanks for all that helped in the moving of these 2 trucks ( no more cold weather recoveries for me lessin its close to home or a dire need).

Last edited:

chvss65

Was a pleasure to meet you all
Hope to again !!!!!!!!!!
Was gonna call to see if the trip home was safe. glad to see it was.
Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!

heres some of the pics at chvss65 house its cold up here

Attachments

some at Ranchhoppers place and were the famious studibaker was hidding had a very hard time keeping gimpy from turning in to play

Attachments

pics from the final stop before who no what Capt. Curt and the Newt helping as always these boys jump in and getter done now . Once again thanks to (ALL) who helped in thier own way to make this all work out good .

Attachments

as my brain unfreezes if i think of anything else i will add it . also am looking for some very heavy drawers and bench for on side of the 185 box and the front window cover also 2 more of the convoy light brackets like on the front of the box thanks Doc

ida34

The weekend on Saturday I was taking my son to a school activity in Livonia Michigan. On the way there were several accidents. On one overpass the hard pack ice snow had created an almost perfect 45 degree ramp. I could see marks where a vehicle hit the bridge wall hard and was about 4 inches from going over the side to a 30 foot drop. Four more inches of the hard ice snow would have had this guy over the edge. I would have thought he went over but saw the marks where he came cruising back the other way across four lanes then a few hundred feet ahead there was about 5 cars that had been in a chain reaction accident. A deuce would have cleared that 4 inches easy. We all know the excellent roll over protection the deuce provides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks