• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Gathering 2010 - Carlisle PA - official thread

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to start a thread about The Gathering, this year held August 4-8, 2010 at Carlisle PA.

I have a couple other people emailing me about exactly where this is going to be, Carlisle is a big place. I assume it WILL NOT be held at the Carlisle car show grounds, as they are having their own truck show that weekend.

Any info from the organizers is appreciated.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
MD...I will get Barbra's email address when I get home and PM you...she's one of the organizers.
You could also PM driver523 if you want to....he knows stuff.

Last edited:

Driver523

Here's a start---

The official 2010 Gathering VIII will be held at Carlisle, PA August 4-8, 2010 (Wednesday through Sunday). Carlisle is located about 18 miles west of Harrisburg, PA and about 35 miles north of Gettysburg. We are planning a trip/convoy to Gettysburg , and a display of gun trucks and tour of the new Army Heritage Education Center at Carlisle Barracks. And our Friday night BBQ and raffle to raise money for the fuel fund for participating gun trucks.
Details on the hotel: The Gathering hotel is the Quality Inn, 1255 Harrisburg Pike, Carlisle, PA 17013, phone (717) 243-6000. We have blocked 83 rooms (which will go fast), with a group rate of $70 per night plus 8.5% tax. This includes a complimentary hot breakfast buffet. Guest rooms include microwave, refrigerator (at a small fee), coffee maker, wireless high speed internet and cable TV with HBO. There is also an outdoor swimming pool. Rooms on the first floor have chairs on their balconies; none on the upper floors, so plan to bring chairs if you’re driving. A large parking lot in back has room (and approval from motel management) for camping trailers and motor homes (not tents) – also secure at night for the gun trucks. You can come earlier and stay later at The Gathering group rate.
For other accommodations (tent camping, bed & breakfast, etc), please check out this site: http://www.visitcumberlandvalley.com/sleep.html?gclid=CPDq-ruR_JwCFSMeDQodwSXjaw .
Register early with the hotel – call and be sure to mention The Gathering to get the discounted room rate. Phone: (717) 243-6000. Go here for more information on the hotel: http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-carlisle-pennsylvania-PA034/Hotel-Photos?sid=tK3_M.8GfFSgaajg.4
Point of contact: Barbara Bower, bbower1@cox.net or Larry Fiandt (Driver) Driver523rd@AOL.COM

Driver523

alittle more---------Driver

Overflow hotel for The Gathering 8 is the Howard Johnson's @ 1245 Harrisburg Pike in Carlisle. Rob just spoke with them and only one room has been booked there. Although the hotel was suppose to hold these rooms (20) for us until July 1st, they have released a majority of the rooms (!!!!). There are 8 rooms left so if you haven't gotten a room yet you'd best hurry up and get it done! After these are taken, you will be on your own for a hotel room.
There are several hotels within walking distance (Ramada, Rodeway) but the rates won't be as good as we obtained through Quality Inn.

If you are still "on the fence" it's time to decide. This is shaping up to be an awesome Gathering and I'd hate to see anyone miss it this year.

Counting down the days........

Driver523

Here's that schedule for the Gathering--------Driver

Tentative schedule:
Wednesday, arrival at the Quality Inn, displays and greeting old friends! All vendors welcome, check in the Sam at the motel for set up instructions.
Thursday, convoy to Gettysburg after lunch about 1:30 and return by dinner time. Tours will be available from three of our members. There is a ghost tour given at night there if you want to stay.
Friday, 9:00 – 4:00, display gun trucks and other Vietnam-era vehicles at the Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle Barracks. We will display on the historic trail near the Vietnam area. No vendors allowed. We will have a tent, chairs and a PA system for two speakers that have offered to come and speak to us, friends of Randy Recht’s (Wild Thing).
Friday evening, about 5:30 BBQ catered by the diner next to the Quality Inn (BBQ, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, soft drinks, etc) followed by our annual raffle to raise funds to help pay for gun truck fuel.
Saturday, 9:00-5:00 (trucks should arrive by 7:00 AM to find their display spots), Carlisle Truck National at the Carlisle Fairgrounds. All Gathering attendees will be given free admission (we will have tickets at the registration desk). Truck display is free; vendors may set up with the trucks free. Army Heritage & Education Center will set up with us. Private vehicles will have to pay parking, $5-$6.00 per car.

wildbilly1760

Can you tell me more or point me towards more info on the Gathering. Is this for Gun Trucks only or all MV. I live in PA and would probably enjoy checking things out. What do the vendors sell? Anyhow Point me in the right direction. Thanks Bill

Driver523

I started the Gathering as a military transportation reunion with anyone interested more then welcome to attend, we have never had much in the way of vendors so I don't really know what to expect, I have passed on the Gathering to some ladies and I am just kinda the middle man for the gun trucks now, but anyone and everyone is welcome to attend with or without vehicles, we should have about 10 gun trucks this year so come on out, be sure to ask where Driver is so I can shake your hand-----hope this answers your question---lodging info is above-------anything else just let me know-------Driver

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK Driver...the Proud American Crew (CAMO) has reservations for 5-7 Aug....just made them.

NOW...I gotta find out which of the crew can come with me. We had decided to set this one out but I guess we won't:)

OH BOY!!! The things you Guntruckers get us old grunts into:lol:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I just hope Calvin is coming...just sent uglyranger an email for Calvin's email address...I keep losing stuff....that's why MB won't let me go anywhere by my self!!! LOL:?

whyme

sorry to take this off track but it occurs to me that this might be a good time to get a recovery done from mechanicsburg. got an m35a2 that needs getting (assuming my EUC clears this century...). im gonna try and get down either way for this as its only a few hours out from some property ive got in ny. anyway, would anyone be going through or near allegany? that has the means to help?

sorry again for the hijack

vtdeucedriver

Larry, glad to see you guys are comming!!!!!! Met up with John T ( Aces N Eights ) this weekend. Were both excited!!!!!!!! Firmed up my tractors spot on the trailer with the GT :) This is gonna be fun!!!!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
JT...will you guys arrive before noon? I think we are to convoy somewhere at 13:30 on Thursday.
Gonna be great to meet some new friends and see some old ones!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks