• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Mysterious Governor?

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, let me thank everyone here for all of the great information. I have frequently used the search function to find past posts to answer questions relating to vehicle insurance, bridge plates, 4-color camo patterns, and where to buy stuff. Most of my questions have already been answered!

However, I haven’t been able to find anything on the 5-ton gasser governor. (Continental R6602 gas engine in my M51). I have looked in TM 9-2320-211-20, but it doesn’t give any explanation. All I know is there is a gizmo attached to the bottom of the distributor, and there are small diameter metal tubes that connect the governor to the carburetor.

1) Can anyone tell me how this governor works? Is it vacuum, pressure, magic pixie dust?

2) How can one troubleshoot its operation? Can it prevent the engine from starting at all when bad?

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Richard for the quick reply. Mine doesn't look the same. I can see that in the first picture seems to have some sort of weight that spins around - I guess that when it spins too fast, centripetal force causes it actuate something which regulates the engine speed , huh???
In the second picture is quite different in that mine does not have a cable.

after further research, I think there might be more information in TM 9-2805-203[red] -35[/red] {Field and Depot Maintenance for Engine and Clutch (Gasoline)},
I couldn't find it under the https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms website.
I checked Saturn Surplus website and they list only the [red] parts[/red] book TM 9-2805-203[red] -35P[/red], I already have [red] -34P[/red] manual- which appears to be the same.
anyone have a copy of TM 9-2805-203[red] -35[/red] they want to sell?

My set-up looks more like pictures below:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks