• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Rise and Fall of the Humvee?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Comparing the HMMWV to the JLTV is like comparing a P51 Mustang to an F16, this writer is an idiot.
Maybe this clod would rather we kept the Jeep around ? That would have been perfect in Iraq, as if somehow in WW2, Korea and Vietnam there was absolutely no MOUT going on, no IED’s…or as they called them before fancy names, “booby traps”
Did the writer ask the Army why it directed its JLTV funds to buy more hmmwvs recently? or did he have a deadline to fill an article request and no thought of his own, asking for a friend.
someone should remind him also of the NMC rate of the JLTV, and in reference to the USMC names they call a hmmwv? let’s be 100% clear…the worst maintained vehicles I’ve ever seen come from Motor T.
This article is a non-starter

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the whole debate as the military being cheap. The HMMWV was never envisioned or designed to be an APC. I don't believe for a second the think-tank that wrote the requirements weren't aware that it was effectively transparent to small arms or IEDs; they knew but rated the risk lower than perhaps they should have. When the risk was realized they were caught with the pants down. Imagine the M1009s performing those roles, and the reactive response of bolting armor to them - woulda looked like a 3rd world technical :ROFLMAO:

The response they provided was the cheapest as well- minimal upgrade to the motor and suspension/brakes. The fully armored HMMWVs I can get up close to on a nearby base can't get 6 months out of a set of brake pads, or so I'm told.

I guess vehicles are the same as any other tool - trying to make one tool do multiple jobs means you'll have a tool that excels at none.

canadacountry

unrelated but as I recall this was for a good part why the Iltis and alike were often shortly retired or reassigned to some non-military tasks .. they may had been good at scouting in the first place but the lack of bomb protection etc basically wrote their army-related uses off for good

Hummer Guy

The only part of the HMMWV that needs to “sunset” is the 6.5. Hell even the Russian Tigr uses the 6BT.
In my opinion, the P400 6.5s need to return, the only issue with the 6BT in the humvees is its size and weight. The 6.5s are still some pretty stout engine, sure its not a 6bt though

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, AMGeneral products are going to crap. That’s why I own two in NY and one in Cali and I’m waiting for EUC/SF-97’s on three more.

Who here actually believes the woke press anyways?

One year ago California was supposedly proof of Global Warming because reservoirs were empty and it was a drought. Now they are blaming the same global warming for record rain in Cali with reservoirs at 120%.

My answer is to ignore the reporters and their first amendment protected fake news, and drive my HMMWV with Hummer H1 in Cali through all the flooded areas to look at the amazing flora and fauna.

That reporter don’t know what he is missing!!! He also don’t know 💩 fromIMG_3894.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks