• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Screaching Deuce

Akicita

I took the truck out today to get some garden soil and other stuff. I had a hard time getting the old girl to start at the store when I was ready to leave. That was the second time in a week. After several attempts, the engine finally fired. I stopped at my house and unloaded. A few hours later, I tried to start her and had the same difficulty again. When the engine finally caught, I heard a loud screach from the left front. Once the engine ran, the truck was OK again. I turned her off and restarted her several times, and she started right away each time.

I'm thinking starter but you may have a different idea. It's dark outside and it's too late to work on it tonight anyway. Any other ideas ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Screeching on mine is usually alt belts. If your batterys are getting low that would cause hard starting and add load on the alt.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need more information. When it was having difficulty starting was the starter spinning the engine at a reasonable rate? If so, you have a fuel problem - filters, air in lines, etc.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our 109 has been squealing upon start up because the compressor belt is loose . . .
. . . I KNOW, I KNOW, it's on the list

Jimma

Mine did that on startup and it was a loose alternator belt. It really sounded bad at first, then the sound would disapear. It would do it on startup then go away. Eventually it did it all the time. I checked it and it was loose. I pushed the alternator/generator to the side to tighten it up and then tightened the bolts and that was all it took. It has been quiet since then.

Akicita

Thanks for all your advice. We've had a lot of rain here, hard rain, too. Temps. usually range between 60's and upper 30's these days.
Primary fuel filter is less than a year old (maybe 2,000 miles). I've run the truck on straight diesel.
Have to check on air in fuel lines. Wouldn't know how it got there but I'll check.
I'll check on the belts, too when I get home.
Thanks for your suggestions.

(Pictures shows truck yesterday before I was done unloading it. Added because I know many folks here like to look at pictures.)

Attachments

Akicita

It's not raining here for a change. Right, that's when the sun comes out. Now I remember.

Seriously though, I quickly looked under the hood and found
- belt has just a little bit of flex when I press against it, seems normal to me,
- 2 air bubbles in plastic lines between injectors, that's normal on my truck,
- plenty of diesel in the tank,
- took a fuel sample from primary filter, looks clear and has no unusual smell,
- batteries are 1-1/2 yrs old, measured 12.6 and 12.5 V. These are regular car batteries hooked in series for 24 V.

Still wondering why she won't start as easily as she used to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks