• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Think I Need an Alternator, Please Help.

1stgear

I was driving my m1008 back from lunch last week and the passenger side alt belt went south. Prior to breaking, I smelled burning rubber so I thought the alt locked up. Took the truck home and checked the alternator - the pulley spun like a champ.

Put a new alt belt on Monday night. Drove the truck on Tuesday and was going home and I smell burning rubber again. This time the belt didn't break but the #2 alternator light won't go out. Pulley is spinning freely. I ASSUME it means a new alternator for me.

Two questions >

*Can an alternator lock up and then spin again? I find that hard to believe, but that has to be what happened.

*Where can I get an alternator for my truck? If I take my core in is this something NAPA, Autozone, or some other parts store can get. Or is the alternator a special one just for the MVs?

Thanks for any help!!

devilman96

It’s possible to have a seizure and then spin freely again after cooling down, ether a bearing is going out or part of the winding is coming apart inside.

You will not find these at Napa / AutoZone / etc as you need an isolated ground for the 24V; however you can get one built locally at a auto electric shop. Or if you need I have them in stock with no core charge.

http://www.odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=17_39

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have had this happen also right after putting my truck back on the road.

Highly suggest NOT going to NAPA. The generator is around $200!!!!!! Pull it off and take it to a good rebuild shop in your area. I was really impressed with my rebuild. They cleaned it in some kinda machine and it looked like a new one. BOTH (I said screw it and bought a second gen out of a junker and had it rebuilt) are running like champs and I have less than $100 into both of them. Actually now have two other gen's that I am getting rebuilt for a potential future second CUCV.

Would always suggest having at least one spare around also.

Am now looking at having a spare starter also. Gonna get a junker and have it rebuilt.

Trick is finding a good rebuild shop. For that you will have to ask around your area. Good luck.

FSBruva

Don't know how often you get up to the Atlanta area, 1stGear, but I recently had my deuce alternator worked on at a shop up here. They do a lot of contracted rebuild work for Fort Gillem's trucks, so they usually have the parts on hand, and charge a fair price for labor. Check out C & S Auto Electric in Mabelton, GA.

Matt

1stgear

Thanks for the fast replies.

I'm a long way from ATL, however I might send my shot-out alt up there and get it re-built if that's something that they'll do.

Unfortunately, there's no place around here that can re-build alternators or anything like that. Very small town.

I ordered one from OD IRON as the price seemed very reasonable. It shouldn't take too long to get here since it's coming from Boca and I'm in deep South Georgia.

Thanks again.

The only thing that keeps me from getting a gear reduction starter is my lingering suspicion that they are more prone to overheat in extended cranking. I have no proof one way or the other.

Also, when I needed to replace mine, the only thing NAPA had in stock was the non-reduction type.

mangus580

thedeliverator said:
The only thing that keeps me from getting a gear reduction starter is my lingering suspicion that they are more prone to overheat in extended cranking.
Why would you think this? A gear reduction starter doesn't work nearly is hard, therefore should be LESS prone to overheat.

There is a reason that GM switched to the gear reduction on all the 6.5 engines.

M725

mangus580 said:
thedeliverator said:
The only thing that keeps me from getting a gear reduction starter is my lingering suspicion that they are more prone to overheat in extended cranking.
Why would you think this? A gear reduction starter doesn't work nearly is hard, therefore should be LESS prone to overheat.

There is a reason that GM switched to the gear reduction on all the 6.5 engines.
And you shouldn't be cranking the starter for extend periods with out a cool down between tries anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks