• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about adding a turbo....Is it worth it?

mud4me

I am thinking about adding a turbo to the deuce i just recently purchased. Is it worth the trouble to put one on? Do you get any noticeable performance increases, i think i remember seeing somewhere around 10 hp gain, if thats the case i would say no but i thought i would ask. If it is worth adding where could i find a good used unit or maybe even a rebuilt one. How much is this going to set me back. Thanks

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,I would say it is nice.It doesn't add any PEAK horsepower but like any diesel is should have more HP low in the RPM range.Would love to see a deuce on a dyno.N/A and then Turbo just to see the HP curve difference.Also,you can't beat the noise.I love the C but the D has a nice rumble...But,I like my screamers......both trucks and....ehhh never mind!

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Overall I would say yes. I did mine about a month ago. I wish I had installed the pyrometer before I did the conversion so I could know what kind of exhaust gas temp I was running before.

The positives--- less smoke, more power on take off, better fuel mileage, less noise.

The negatives-- less overall speed, have to let truck run for 5 min before shut down.

I would still do it again. I like the whine. Wish I could have found a whistler like my friend FreightTrain.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you install the turbo you can increase the fuel rate. And that's where you will see a big increase in power. Ask Sailor2000. his truck is N/A and he's ridden in mine. He can tell you first hand the difference.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Ken said. You can turn up the fuel alot more on a turbo engine. The reason the military added the turbo was to decrease smoke. Where the fuel stayed the same but they forced more air in the engine so it burnt all the fuel better. Really the only thing that that increases hp on diesels is more fuel but you have to keep the fuel/air ratio within limits. So To add more fuel you have to increase the air. That's why the Cummins 855 cid. engines go anywhere from 215hp to 400hp on the old manual engines. They just increased the air so they could add more fuel. If you could figure out a way to stuff a air cooler in front of the radiator you could do even better. With the cid. of the multi-fuel you could get maybe 300hp out of the engine but it would probally melt down and I don't know if the enternal organs would hold up.

sailor2000

ken said:
Once you install the turbo you can increase the fuel rate. And that's where you will see a big increase in power. Ask Sailor2000. his truck is N/A and he's ridden in mine. He can tell you first hand the difference.
Thanks Ken... but I have my new turbo w/w coming soon.. so watch out!! It will be off to the drag track!! LOL!! (My NA Deuce will do 12 in the 1/4 mile.... minutes that is)

Ken's turbo is like being in a 'vette compared to my NA multifuel...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT i would think it wouldn't take long to spray little pieces of head gasket all over the engine compartment At 2800 and 20psi. But it bet it would run 20 sec in the quarter mile doing it.

kc8sfq

Hi all:
I'm currently running an M-292a2 with the N/A power plant. The box on the back weighs 8800 lbs. if it's empty (it's never empty) It's like putting a saddle on a cat. I've had it to 55 mph, but i used a calander for my accelerometer.

If I remember correctly, All the Army did was slap the "C" turbo on the N/A engines. Since I have the parts in stock, I am toying with the idea of this upgrade. While I wouldn't mind a few extra ponies, but I'd really like to stop the smoke show that occurs if I am using any power setting above idle. I can literally make a whole expressway disapear in the black fog. I've heard truckers on the CB asking "What's on fire up there?"

Is my recollection correct and what else HAS to be done to keep this low mileage motor smiling happily along for many miles to come?

sailor2000

kc8sfq said:
I'd really like to stop the smoke show that occurs if I am using any power setting above idle. I can literally make a whole expressway disapear in the black fog.
My NA produces some smoke, especially when it has not fully warmed up yet, but nothing like that. I usually can see a slight shadow from it on the hood if the sun is the right angle above and behind me, but I can only see it in the rear view if I have it floored trying to accelerate or go over a hill (OK.. it's houston, we have no hills.. so I really mean go over a bridge)