• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about Building a Cougar MRAP

Ma Duce

So after some tinkering around, my buddies and I are getting down to really considering building a clone of a Cougar MRAP by General Dynamics.

The plan is to use a 900 series truck as a base. Originally, I wanted to do the 4x4 version, but after looking at it, and knowing that it would be a bobber project to start with, it would be like another project to itself, I think I’ve settled on doing the 6x6 version.

The Cougar’s body looks a lot easier to reproduce with its boxy style. And it’s dimensions look similar to a 923 or 931. For instance, overall length on the Cougar is 295” (including rear steps). A 923 is 307” (most likely including the bumperetts.) Although, I will admit to seeing more than one dimension given on the Cougar for overall length.

I can’t find actual wheelbase info on the Cougar. But given other info on number of troops and such I think it is going to be safe to assume that the wheelbase is similar to a 923 or a 931. With that, which one to use? A 931 has a wheelbase of 167” a 923 is 179”. 12” difference. The frame on a 923 is about 40’ longer than a 931.

While this won’t be an exact replica of a Cougar, we are just gonna have to do the best that we can, using a 5 ton as a base. The good news is we have a source for AR-500 at a reasonable price. And we have access to a CNC plasma cutter.

On the engine side, the 923/931 uses the Cummins NHC 250 which has 250 HP. The Cummins 6CTA8.3 in the A2s is a smaller engine, but has HP ratings from Cummins that span 250-300 HP putting it a bit closer to the 330 HP of the Cat C7. And according to some of the threads here on turning them up, looks like the 6CTA could give the Cat C7 a run for its money with a few tweaks.
Another difference is gonna be the 5 speed auto trans vs the 6 speed of the Cougar. Which would limit top speed, but this thing isn’t gonna be made for doing 80 down the highway. I figure it’s all going to be used for local stuff.

From the pics, TMs and other things I have been able to assemble on the Cougar, my thought is cut the project into 3 pieces. 1. The box, 2. The cab, 3. Hood/engine compartment/front end. I’ll worry about adding the armor un the underside for the trans and transfer case later. Hull design, doors and such will take a priority to make it a functioning replica.

And as parts come off of the base truck, I plan on selling them off to help defray the costs of the project. So the drop side bed, the cab (minus gauges), hood and tires for starters. The CTIS if we use an A2 will go as well.

The 923 looks to be closer to the overall size, but we will have to see what becomes available and at what price for the “donor” truck. But I’m leaning towards the 923A2 because of the motor.

I recently won a couple of auctions for the seat kits, so I have the front seats and jump seats for the rear – I won 6 kits of driver/co-driver seat w/ 4 jump seats. So getting the inside look is starting to take shape. I’m gonna play around with seating arrangements, as the neat thing about MRAPS is that there are so many different types, and variations, you can almost do what you want on the inside. And since we won’t be needing the same type of commo gear, that’s going to free up some space.

There are lots of parts coming out in auctions. It’s getting to where I can see a part and after looking at so much of this stuff, I can figure out which MRAP stuff came off of, be it a Caiman, Navistar or Cougar.

Lots to plan and think about, but this looks to be a fun project if we can getting it going in the next couple of months.

Anybody got any thoughts or ideas?

Todd

p.s. been away for a while as my work really had me swamped here in Illinois.

Reckless

I have thought about doing something similar but never really set something in stone. Definitely post a lot of pics and keep this thread updated!

cbear

I think the Maxxpro would be the easiest, due to it using many off the shelf International parts for the Workstar line. If you don't already have the chassis, you could pick up a International garbage or dump truck and convert it.

Both Maxxpros and Caimans are going to police departments, so you may be able to locate a department and get some measurements.

You're right that DOD is dumping tons of MRAP parts. I've had luck googling the NSN or the part numbers and finding MRAP newsletters that were for field support. This has helped me IS parts and their end vehicles.

GL recently auctioned a training MRAP mockup based on a 5 ton. I think it was suppose to be a Caiman or RG-33 6x6.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6gURYBoArk
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6442101
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6890603

Ma Duce

I saw the MRAP trainers that went up on GL. prices kinda shocked me, and no way I was gonna pay that kind of $$$.

The box and body style on the trainerhas a couple of differant angles on the sides. and if you look at the back, they shorten the body and use the frame rails for a step in getting out the back.

I also think the Cougar models are simple in design and just look bad ass. We already know that there will have to be some sort of "trans tunnel" because it sticks up higher than the frame rails. I've seen some of them have a large "dog house" in between the seats of the driver/co-driver and we'd like to keep it open for ingress egress between the back and front.

Again the neat thing about "MRAPs" is the term is generic enough and there are so many companies making them, that you can do almost anything you like and be right. As far as a max pro- the navistar's look a lot more like a commercial truck from the front. they use a fiberglass hood. My PD got a MRAP and as soon as they take delivery, I will get a look at it. with a lot of the data being still classified, some things are a best guess Cougar_ENG_6x6.jpg.101-army-eroc-cougar-4.jpgCougar_ENG_6x6.jpg

peashooter

At a previous company I worked for we bought loads of AR500 almost exclusively from Temtco Steel in Chicago. Their prices (as of about 5 years ago) were the best around. Figured I'd throw that out there in case you hadn't already gotten quotes from them. Good luck, sounds like a cool project. You should get one of those MRAP bumpers that 6x6guy (in Illinois also) has in the classifieds, not sure which MRAP it came off but it is a neat looking unit.

Ma Duce

So here are the seats I won on the GL auction. Good start to the project. . . .

IMG_0649.jpg IMG_0650.jpg IMG_0652.JPG

I wasn't intending to end up with 36 seats, but I did. . .

Ma Duce

Interior_MRAP_(KSC-2014-1392).jpg 126379_tmb_642274534_mrap_interior-2.gif

Yea they are from Cainmans,a nd it looks like they got used in Cougars as well. It really is amazing all the different interiors that there are.

Hawssie

I have 4 set ups of 6 seats each of those seat kits. The ****ed things almost killed me getting them home though. I broke down on the grape vine going back home over hwy 5 with a loaded trailer with four of those crates of seats among a lot of other stuff from Fontana. My 2000 Ford Powerstroke blew a head gasket and to make a long story (and trip) short I had to get back for a family member in the hospital and couldn't leave my trailer on the mtn so it cost me $2500 from a big rig tow truck bill to get me the 350 miles home. My crew cab and with the 30 ft equipment trailer wouldn't fit on anything else. That added a lot to the $500 per kit price for those seats. They are pretty cool seats especially the front 2, and the seat belt harnesses.

Ma Duce

ok so yesterday, I was stopping by the office where I work part time, and saw one fo the guys from the Sheriff's office. we stoped to talk as he was going to work on the HUMMVEs that have and as I peeked around the corner I saw a hood, and asked, is that the MRAP you guys got? Sure it was. Not a Cougar like I was hoping for, but a BAE Caiman. And i got to crawl all over it.

Its been 5 gallon overhauled in black. and they are having to do a bunch of work inside. It was REALLY neat to see the seat kits I bought sitting in a real truck. part of the history seems to be at one point the orginal Caimans were traight axel trucks. then they brought them in for a major upgrade to where thr went to an independant suspension. so everything on the chassis was redone, or they may have rolled a new chasis under the body then took the old body and started putting it on the new rolling stock.

Well as we started the draw down oversees, it seems since they didn't need these, they kinda stopped working on them. There is a lot of stuff that needs work on them and got some really interesting insight into them.

Next gonna go back over with a camera and get some pics and details.

One thing that stuck out was the armor. in places it is 2" thick. 2 overlapping 1" plates. it was very helpful and cool I'll post more after my next visit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks