• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying -- What to look for?

Heavyopp

Hello Guys, great site. I've been reading for about 2 weeks now and have a few questions.

First off - the reason I'm here - I've come across a 72 am general M35A2 for sale and it's got my interest. I have not seen it personally but will in the very near future.

Here is the list:

LDT465 Turbo "Multi-fuel" diesel
38000 miles 1300hours
5-speed OD
Air-shift 2 spd T-case
10000lb, 2spd w/Rev PTO front winch w/20000lb snatch block
OD green canvas top w/canvas troop cover
spare tire, fuel can and troop tools
12ft standard tailgate box w/ troop seats
M&S9.00x20 single rear wheel
New M&S front tires
In cab heater and adjustable driver's seat
New batteries and water pump
Many NEW parts and extras!
All gauges w/added pyrometer work.
Everything else works.

What's it worth?? I do know that it has been mudded. The guy who has it is a mud junkie.

What should I look for when I go see it? I know only what I have read here about them but I have dealt with many old trucks.

I don't have any pics on this computer but I could post some tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

Jer

forklift

this sounds like the one in the classifieds on this web site. Is it??? If not, there's an indicator for you. It's the same year, got all the same goodies(m&s9.00 x 20singles) and he wants $4000. I 'm talkin to him about it.

Katch1

the truth is that almost all the tactical trucks have seen a fair amount of mud, mine has, thats what theyre built for. that being said the maintenance is important, look at all the fluids for water ect. $4000 is not a whole lot for all the goodies it has on it as long as the truck itself is in good shape

red devils dude

For $4,000 thats not bad, all I'd do if I bought it is check the axle and bearing seal's very carefully repack the bearing's and
your all set, But first I'd go and look the truck over carefully maybe drive it a little way's, we have a
few members in NJ maybe someone could come with you and help look it over.

rice

Katch1 said:
the truth is that almost all the tactical trucks have seen a fair amount of mud, mine has, thats what theyre built for. that being said the maintenance is important, look at all the fluids for water ect. $4000 is not a whole lot for all the goodies it has on it as long as the truck itself is in good shape
That's why I decided to keep The fire truck. It has not seen all the rough terrain that most have. Of course I realize its been cranked up and run hard from a cold start, but it runs great. I'm going to add a turbo and a air lock axle. I bought a wrecked 77 AM General just for that purpose. :D

Heavyopp

We have been in email contact for about 2 weeks. He seems like a decent guy and certainly seems capable with his trucks. I don't doubt its a good truck for the money it's just me. I'm trying to convice myself that I need this truck. I definately want it but don't need it if you can understand that.

I purchased a civy hummer in 93, was the 6th person to own one in NJ, that I sold last year. Had that for 10 or 11 years. I only put 34,000 miles on it. The problem with the deuce is that I can't even take my family of 4 for a ride.

I could definately turn it into an ATV hauler. But now, once again, I'd have to quad cab it. The other dowside for me is that they are so slow. He says it will do 55mph all day but thats it. I'm not a speed freak by any means but I regularly go 100 plus miles into PA with the ATV's just to ride.

I still really like it and am going to go see it. He's only an 1 1/2 hours from me. Maybe a drive in it will be enough to turn me into a deuce owner. We'll see.

Jer

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess they look the other way when the military does it. NJ sounds like they have some funny stuff going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks