• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of buying a halftrack

ramato

Emptyhead,
I like you always wanted a halftrack. But I would agree with the earlier post. You should lean the ropes of Military Vehicle ownership with something more conducive to your skills. I restored a 43 Gpw, it took several years as I was in the Navy at the time. BUT,,,it gave me the experience and knowledge of the mechancal that the military used at the time in thier vehicles...and unknown to me at the time...much of the GPW's systems are like a halftracks. Long story short, I literally had a halftrack fall in my lap, it was not a basket case, it was all there and 90 percent original right down to the shovel, pick and axe...(a true barn find). But still it needed all the systems and mechanicals redone or check...for safety and reliability. My point...I would not have tackled it had I not had gained the knowledge by my resto of the GPW... H/Ts need constant TLC,,,even the pristine ones..and it takes a good wallet to keep up with them...much like a wife, or hot G/Friend..But if you can,,then go for it. Just my two cents

captain-crank

Emptyhead,
I like you always wanted a halftrack. But I would agree with the earlier post. You should lean the ropes of Military Vehicle ownership with something more conducive to your skills. I restored a 43 Gpw, it took several years as I was in the Navy at the time. BUT,,,it gave me the experience and knowledge of the mechancal that the military used at the time in thier vehicles...and unknown to me at the time...much of the GPW's systems are like a halftracks. Long story short, I literally had a halftrack fall in my lap, it was not a basket case, it was all there and 90 percent original right down to the shovel, pick and axe...(a true barn find). But still it needed all the systems and mechanicals redone or check...for safety and reliability. My point...I would not have tackled it had I not had gained the knowledge by my resto of the GPW... H/Ts need constant TLC,,,even the pristine ones..and it takes a good wallet to keep up with them...much like a wife, or hot G/Friend..But if you can,,then go for it. Just my two cents
Good post...... except the part about having the track barn find coming to you, usually it takes years of beating the bushes. Lucky bastage......[thumbzup]

emptyhead

Thanks guys for all the information guidance. Right now I'm like a3 year old locked on to the ideabut will give it some more time and maybe save alittle more money and kept my eyes open. Again thanks guy you are all so helpful.

Wayofftrack

In fact I'd say that short of restoring a vintage WWII plane, they're probly the most expensive projects youll encounter in this hobby.

Actually the most expensive armored vehicle to restore (ww2 vintage) is a Sherman tank. Vastly more expensive than a HT.

M215

My stuart tank was cost less to restore than my halftrack.
With the number of halftracks presently under going restoration demand and prices for parts will continue to be high. Until all the rebuildable halftracks are completed I would not expect anything to change if not get more expensive.

With very few Shermans, Stewarts or M8 / M20s remaining or being restored I would think common items / parts should be cheap. If you are sitting on a pallet of vision blocks watch the dust accumulate. Unlike a pallet of halftrack bogie wheels.

I started our M2A1 halftrack project with a running cab and chassis for $1200. Once completed I'll still be way south of the mega $ needed for a Sherman / Stewart.

I would own a Stewart if I could. No money for that and my wife said no tanks!
Karl

Wayofftrack

Chuck did you mean your stuart cost less to buy than your halftrack? You didn't restore your track you bought it already 'restored' did you not?

Regardless at todays prices for a restored Stuart (200K) or unrestored Stuart (?) a halftrack is still a bargain compared to a Stu or a Sherman.

paulfarber

I get to ride in HTs occasionally, not sure the models but I think they are smooth rides compared to a jeep or CCKW.

I wouldn't 'start' with a jeep as restoring one is a $10k adventure (we can debate what 'restoring' is later) and that $10k is 1/3rd or so of a HT.

Great thing about HTs is that they are street legal (rubber tracks).

Ask any CCKW owner about tire costs... $2500 to re-shoe a truck with NDTs is on par with track costs. Tires might last 10k for rears, significantly less for fronts.

Pull the trigger on it. Working on an restoring an MV is a great experience and you can go at your own pace. You'll have a great asset and can pass it down to your kids or donate it to a museum for a write off.

captain-crank

I get to ride in HTs occasionally, not sure the models but I think they are smooth rides compared to a jeep or CCKW.

I wouldn't 'start' with a jeep as restoring one is a $10k adventure (we can debate what 'restoring' is later) and that $10k is 1/3rd or so of a HT.

Great thing about HTs is that they are street legal (rubber tracks).

Ask any CCKW owner about tire costs... $2500 to re-shoe a truck with NDTs is on par with track costs. Tires might last 10k for rears, significantly less for fronts.

Pull the trigger on it. Working on an restoring an MV is a great experience and you can go at your own pace. You'll have a great asset and can pass it down to your kids or donate it to a museum for a write off.

Wow, riding in a half track.
Who woulda thought how knowledgeable it could make you in regard to them.

paulfarber

I made no explicit statements regarding any half track.

Most turn key HTs are $30-$40k

1941 Auto Car Half-Track. Returned from Israel in the mid 1980s. Very Strong Runner. One extra NOS Track
Massachusetts Titled, Location Norton, MA 02766
Asking $22,500.00

Restoring a jeep will set you back about $10k... most of which you will not recoup from selling it.

7.5x20 NDTs cost $250 per tire (tube, flap, tire) x 10 tires (not including the spare) = $2500 and a set of track will cost:

Limited quantities are available. First come, first served. Contact me at gary@halftracks.com, or call 630-257-1100.
$1295.00 each.

At what point did I make an error? :?::?:

pawnee1959

Follow your dream, but don't ruin your bank account or marriage. I want a M3 half track myself. My grandfather had & used one on his farm, but traded it off when I was a baby. I have some pictures of my Mom sitting on it, remember playing on one of the bullet-proof fuel tanks in his scrap yard & have a few pieces of the armor. Typical of most post war half-track users, they stripped the rear armor off to make a more useable flat bed, and the removed armor got used all over the farm. I remember some being used as protection for an irrigation pump and for a welding table. I recently was trying to locate a half track in Western Kansas, only to learn that somebody from Fort Collins had purchased it recently.

snock

If you're truly serious about buying a half-track my neighbor has one for sale. It's been a year since I've seen it but it looks nice and complete for $25k. I'm no expert on the half-tracks but I believe it's an M3. I'll ask him if I see him this weekend. If I was in the market for one I wouldn't pass this one up for that money.

pawnee1959

If you're truly serious about buying a half-track my neighbor has one for sale. It's been a year since I've seen it but it looks nice and complete for $25k. I'm no expert on the half-tracks but I believe it's an M3. I'll ask him if I see him this weekend. If I was in the market for one I wouldn't pass this one up for that money.
I wanted to restore one myself from the ground up, but that price for a complete M3 sounds too good to be true! I would be interested to know if it's still for sale & would love to see pictures or a list of what's included / missing. If the rear armor is complete & original, I'm diffinitely interested. Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks