• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of picking up a stray MUTT...

aschettler

There's an old Navy MUTT sitting in a grove of trees that's been taunting me on the way to work every morning for the last year. I went into the place and talked to the owner the other day and he's got spare parts for it, including an engine. He said it ran a couple years ago and he thinks there's something wrong with the drivetrain, transmission, transfer case, or axles, he's not sure. I looked it over and it solid...ish At the end of the visit he didn't throw a price at me and I didn't know what to offer. Now that's why I'm here. I'm hoping you can give me some ideas about what they're worth restored and what a good asking price for a project would be.

papercu

Depending on the restore they go 7 to 9,000 and up. Alway try scrap price first but I doubt if you can find one under 1,000 in any condition. A documented Navy M151 would be rare. IMO Good luck Wayne

jluv1185

I saw one on CL in Texas that looked rouge but ran for 2k. It looked like a a1, and it had a title. A local guy here sold his a2 for 4500 in very good shape. Hope this helps you.

cstaup

You need to look under the truck. Rust will determine if it is worth restoring or being used as a donor. If the spare is not siezed you wouldn't lose by offering 500.00. You can sell a serviceable motor for that and more, not to mention the rest of the truck. Pics are always helpful.

Rainman

I agree with cstaup. Take a good look underneath and get an idea what it will take to fix it up. If it's a candidate for restoration, don't let Quickwit's uneducated inability to replace a U joint be a reason to pass it up. U joints are not an issue on these jeeps, mostly just rust.
Rainman

Whitey

Check to see if it is a re-weld.
Ditto. And remember they demilled them by cutting them in half right in front of the seats at first, then later on cut them in an "X" from all corners. Somehow people rewelded them both ways, so don't forget to check for welds both places.

aschettler

Thanks for all the info. Last time I checked it out the guy seemed reluctant to sell. If I end up with it I'll be sure to post some pictures. And I'll be asking for lots of assistance. Thanks again,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks