• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinner tire to use as spare? Some measurement questions.

coachgeo

Did some more finite measuring today and came to conclusion my Ambulance box might well be able to be mounted back far enough so that the boxes existing wheelwells line up with the the rear tires..... leaving minimal box overhang that can be lobbed off at an angle if need be (about 20" overhang) . This appears in ruff measuring to leave enough room for Air cleaner in OEM position as well as spare tire.... though.. think spare would be tight fit. Thus the questions.......

How much space is there between back of Cab and Bed or Box (M1079) in OEM configuration?

With that in mind. how much does stock bed/box overhang from end of chassis? Since my bed was potentially shifted some forward by previous owner. Im not exactly sure.

Can anyone think of a tall enough spare tire that is thinner? What about not stock tire height?; as in a thinner spare closer to matching the one size taller military tire some have suggested? Considered going to them anyway since some of the discussions we've had in here about doing this all the way around too drop engine rpm's a tad while cruising? Granted though.... would a thinner spare even fit our rims hmmmm??

Thank in advance for any of your ideas.

UPDATE..... hmmm.... after looking at some pics (battery box edge vs front end of bed) looks like my bed is remounted in pretty much OEM location. hmmm? Look forward to more exact measurements ya'll can kick in with though. Again thanks in advance.

Last edited:

coachgeo

While considering how to possibly keep rear Ambo Door assailable; Do ya'll think could mount Motorcycle or spare up front on a swing out carrier so cab can easily be tilted? hmmm? Not sure if that would block radiator too much though?

coachgeo

Did some more finite measuring today and came to conclusion my Ambulance box might well be able to be mounted back far enough so that the boxes existing wheelwells line up with the the rear tires..... leaving minimal box overhang that can be lobbed off at an angle if need be (about 20" overhang) . This appears in ruff measuring to leave enough room for Air cleaner in OEM position as well as spare tire.... though.. think spare would be tight fit. Thus the questions.......

How much space is there between back of Cab and Bed or Box (M1079) in OEM configuration?

With that in mind. how much does stock bed/box overhang from end of chassis? Since my bed was potentially shifted some forward by previous owner. Im not exactly sure.

Can anyone think of a tall enough spare tire that is thinner? What about not stock tire height?; as in a thinner spare closer to matching the one size taller military tire some have suggested? Considered going to them anyway since some of the discussions we've had in here about doing this all the way around too drop engine rpm's a tad while cruising? Granted though.... would a thinner spare even fit our rims hmmmm??

Thank in advance for any of your ideas.

UPDATE..... hmmm.... after looking at some pics (battery box edge vs front end of bed) looks like my bed is remounted in pretty much OEM location. hmmm? Look forward to more exact measurements ya'll can kick in with though. Again thanks in advance.
Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks