• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Third day is a charm

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the trip back to NC from Jacksonville FL had some bumps, but all's well that ends well. After a couple of jumps from our Chevy, a couple of hotfuelings, and rebuilding a brake line in the parking lot of a gas station in BFE Georgia (no offense to you GA folks), we finally got her home on Monday.

Now comes the fun part. Going through everything with a fine tooth comb. Top of list is rebuilding/replacing alternator and rebuilding all the brake lines and wheel cylinders. Not leaking, but I'd rather beat them to the punch.

Thanks to all those who offered help and guidance when we were stuck. Much appreciated!

IMG_20210316_171024589_HDR~2.jpg

Speaking of alternator, I've read a few threads about swapping in a civi alternator. Most of those threads were at least two years old. What's the opinion now? Is there a best way to go you'd recommend?

V8srfun

Are you looking at converting to 12 volt or adding a 12 volt alt for 12v accessories. That is a far drive and leap of faith not knowing the truck. Happy you made it home safely.

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im planning to keep it 24 volt. Should've mentioned that.

Yes, quite a leap of faith. Did get to look it over good a week prior. Seller drove it to work now and then and was up front with problems.

Admittedly, brake line could have been ugly. Luckily it happened in the parking lot where we slept as I was going through checks before getting back on the road.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put in a Wolverine 24V alternator. Never looked back. Some complained about crappy service from the company. I never had an issue. Some fabricated their own bracket (really, does not look too hard if you have fabbing skills) and used an off the shelf 24V alternator. Power output to weight ratio has greatly improved in the last 50 years!

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@cattlerepairman , I've seen the wolverine kits. Which alternator do they use?

@Recovry4x4 , I thought about the submersible issue. Of course, without a fording kit I shouldn't be that deep anyhow. But damn, it's always cool to have the capability. Just in case.

And yeah, I've learned my lesson about chocks the hard way with a trailer once.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's a Delco 21si. Also, modern alternators may not be rated submersible but they sure get mounted in terrible locations where they are regularly soaked...and they still work.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some complained about crappy service from the company.
I ordered the 24v & 12v kit, the 24v showed up, but the 12v never did. He stated several times that it was going to be shipped, even once providing me with a pre-ship document, but never did. After numerous phone calls (he always answered, just never delivered), I finally put in a claim with my credit card company for the cost difference of the 12v. This was about 2 years ago, so maybe he's better now. He didn't dispute my claim and didn't seem like a bad guy, just maybe had some problems.

Later put in a Leece-Neville 170 amp, 12v.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks